2002 Yz125 Good year or not?

Hi guys I've already got a CRF450 and I'm about to buy a 2002 yz125 on Friday, it's in good condition and the fella is asking £1000 for it.

Just wondering if that was a good year for the yz's and if there were many issues with them?

Thanks in advance!

Good year and that's a good price. 

Cons: I believe shift stop is the only bad, just replace. 5 speed transmission (if you care). 

Pros: 1st year of new plastic design (means you can add the looks all the way up to 2018 model with air box mod)

Other than that, I can't think of any. Good little snappy bike, that will last a good while if properly maintained. 

Here is a 02 I just restored and sold for over 3k US  

IMG_6060.JPG.00e8b280d696856efaddba2bcac1266d.JPG

2015 up plastics look  

• Like 2

Cons: I believe shift stop is the only bad, just replace. 5 speed transmission (if you care). 
Pros: 1st year of new plastic design (means you can add the looks all the way up to 2018 model with air box mod)
Other than that, I can't think of any. Good little snappy bike, that will last a good while if properly maintained. 
2015 up plastics look  

That's lovely mate
I will be getting it Friday 100%
Ideally I wanted a yz 250 but this one came up and I thought it was a fair price
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, P84ONE said:

2015 up plastics look  

That's sweet looking 125 like the white. 👍👍 

• Like 1

2002-2003-2004 were 5 speed.

I've never rode one myself but have difficulty imagining track riding a 125 with wider gaps between each gear.

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Brad04 said:

I thought yz125's were 6 speeds? My friend has an 01 yz125 and it has 6 gears. 

You can put a 98-01 6 speed in a 2002-04 engine. (I have been told, not done). 

2 minutes ago, mlatour said:

2002-2003-2004 were 5 speed.

I've never rode one myself but have difficulty imagining track riding a 125 with wider gaps between each gear.

Exactly, but the ratios are close enough to work on track. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, P84ONE said:

You can put a 98-01 6 speed in a 2002-04 engine. (I have been told, not done). 

Exactly, but the ratios are close enough to work on track. 

Only road riders use 6th gear . I can't remember one track I raced on 125s that even hit 5th.  4th yes every one . Mx tracks on Kawasakis then but same thing

Edited by Motox367
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, DanBradley said:

Hi guys I've already got a CRF450 and I'm about to buy a 2002 yz125 on Friday, it's in good condition and the fella is asking £1000 for it.

Just wondering if that was a good year for the yz's and if there were many issues with them?

Thanks in advance!

The 2002 YZ125 was a great bike. I bought mine new and raced it to well over 100 hours. The only mod I did to mine was a two teeth larger rear sprocket. This was a MXA mag hot tip for that model. Can't remember what the factory tooth count was. That bike was faster than the same model CR, KX, etc. When others would ride my bike they were blown away that it was so much faster than their bikes. Used to pull holeshots more often than not. 

• Like 1