Showa fork inspection/rebuild

I'm diving in to the forks of a kx250f that I bought and needed some opinions. The p.o. chewed up the fork cap with vice grips so I'm assuming he got into them. How do the bushings look on this inner chamber? Is there a way to tell if he screwed with the valving? 

IMG_3179.JPG

IMG_3180.JPG

IMG_3181.JPG

I've seen worse , the inner chamber bushes look normal ?

winning by 4:1 lol

It does look like the stake on the fork piston nut has been filed off

It's been rocking , it's due

I'm putting in .47 main springs and 2.05 pressure springs. I bought them used out of a 2010 RMZ450. The PO re-worked the valving big time. I'm going to put it back to stock. Do I need to add anything on the valving for the stiffer springs and 205 lbs rider?

This is Stock valving:

Base Valve

30.1-7

24.2-2

30.5x2

Rebound

18.1-2

8.5x.15

11.3-2

12.5x2.6

Midvalve

20.1-5

17.1-2

8x1.87

10.2-2

Found a scratch in the dampening rod near the threads. Anything to be concerned about?

IMG_3194.JPG

Edited by Pastmyprime214

Yes it will year the cart seal

I would buy new

I don't on that fork , the kxf version I rode was terrible

Did you get pressure spring changed? Careful with the raised edge of the post, your compression adjust stack needs to seat flush against it. Since you're in there I would replace the piston seal, especially with that high pressure spring. And of course piston o-ring.
If you decide to make them good as new the cart rod seal and bushing aren't that tough either. Couple good vids out there, I will add that drilling peens extra deep will make job much easier. If you look/measure closely you could drill all the way through as the peens are below the seal in the 17mm hex opening. I was worried about drilling to deep on my 1st one and almost messed up threads, luckily I recovered well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

The guy that sold me the springs said they came out of a 2010 rmz 450. When I compared them to the springs in my forks they're longer. They fit but they take out a bit of the free play that was in there before. I'm not even entirely sure that I have stock pressure springs. I'm debating taking them to a suspension shop. I'm not sure where to even go with the valving and the damper rod is damaged. 

Well along the same lines, I think bladder pressure varies somewhat with stacks. I do know that the pressure spring up front are the "bladder" for the forks. Checkout the sticky on the Honda crf450r forum titled something like 04 DIY revalve. It's a very long read but some good info/insight. The stacks are somewhat dated as it's like a 7 yo thread but the OP is still there. Along with mog and others still posting. I know it is a different brand and size but is great place to start learning. ... maybe even enough to make a swing at your own stack. I just revalved mine from knowing only how to change seals and bushings. Disclaimer, I was given a stack recommendation. Only 1 test ride on it but seemed very very good. Racing on it Saturday....

I haven't had any luck getting anyone to recommend a stack. I ended up taking them to Fastlap Suspension in Pelham, AL. I've heard good things about their work. I still want to learn the magic that is shim stacks, but was ready to get this bike built.

That's to bad, its easy to stack em up but do need an idea. Some of the main points I've learned here is how much more active the mid valve is, especially the float of the 8mm id on the length of the collar. And much can be achieved in the diameter of the clamp shim. But if you already sent them out hopefully they will be good.

Well the decision was made based on the fact that I needed a damper rod replaced/repaired, the stacks were way off from stock, and there was a good chance the inner cartridge seal needed replacing. I was able to get a stack on the shock per mog (thanks again mog). That rebuild went relatively smooth. I'm trying to find the thread you recommended to read. I don't see it under the pinned threads. Do you have a link?