Jump to content

2002- YZ250

Recommended Posts

Some time in the future I want to get a 250 smoker, and the YZ is the top choice. Gotta be '02 or older since I want it to be a green sticker. Looking for some tips for before buying, such as preferred years, things to inspect more closely, and after purchasing. Riding will mostly be trails, small bit of mx. Heard it's pretty good at both.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking

Bar risers/high bends

Bash plate, pipe guard

FMF Q stealth or other USFS pipe

Larger tank

Suspension

Headlight, stator upgrade

Heavier flywheel

Edited by HansLanda
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You in CA, is why you need the green sticker? 

I will be restoring one last 02 in CA, before I move my shop and self to AZ for good. With deposit can build exactly what you want  have done it for a few guys on here, and many that are not TT members.

02 in CA will be your best bike, you can upgrade plastics all the way to 2018. 

99-2018 almost same engine, so there are plenty things to do to it. 

Here is an 02 250 I did with UFO rear (to keep 02-14 air box) and polisport front end (to use OEM graphics) IMG_5313.JPG.6f6d5c5b1a3eca59aa6b67f5cc014104.JPGIMG_5335.JPG.f331e6fd52c2458b19726c45f27131a1.JPG

and a 02 125, with 15-18 air box  

IMG_5898.JPG.55d1d240ce36c0aecbbad4e8f4316902.JPG

 

 

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, P84ONE said:

You in CA, is why you need the green sticker? 

I will be restoring one last 02 in CA, before I move my shop and self to AZ for good. With deposit can build exactly what you want  have done it for a few guys on here, and many that are not TT members.

02 in CA will be your best bike, you can upgrade plastics all the way to 2018. 

99-2018 almost same engine, so there are plenty things to do to it. 

Here is an 02 250 I did with UFO rear (to keep 02-14 air box) and polisport front end (to use OEM graphics) 

Yes, 2002 or earlier is required for me here in CA. I want to ride that thing whenever I want to. 

Those bikes look sick! Are they setup for trail or mx? I'm looking to get mine setup to handle both pretty well with minimal changes needed when I go from trail to track.

Thanks for the offer but I'm going to try building as much of it as I can. I lack suspension knowledge though, so I'll probably be paying someone to help out with that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stick with 99-2002 then. You'll be 96-2001 plastics, or 2002 up. Engine is basically the same. Depending where you are in the liberal state, the 02 bikes have been drying up. You can make the suspenders work for both, and setup is really nothing from trails-MX. 

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you find. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, P84ONE said:

Stick with 99-2002 then. You'll be 96-2001 plastics, or 2002 up. Engine is basically the same. Depending where you are in the liberal state, the 02 bikes have been drying up. You can make the suspenders work for both, and setup is really nothing from trails-MX. 

Good luck, and keep us posted on what you find. 

There are some nice reasonably priced ones nearby, but 2002 specifically are a bit scarcer. I'm sure I'd be just as happy on refreshed 1999 though!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate our state for the red sticker green sticker laws lol. I love going to Nevada where you don't even have to register the bike and riding in the sandy dune trails. Where about in California are you? I'm looking for riding buddies

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I just brought home a 2000 YZ125. It was a pretty good deal, since the bike does need some love, but it runs well and starts 1st kick. I chose a 125 over the 250 to build better habits on the MX track, and so I don't kill myself haha.

At the moment, I need a clutch lever (got an upside down front brake lever), look into the float sticking and overflowing gas, bleed brakes, air filter, and oil change, if I'm not missing anything. 

The bars are a bit low, but I'll ride it a few times, and see if I want bar risers. Cosmetically, I'll powdercoat the frame eventually, and get new plastics and graphics.

 

2017-10-16 19.05.25.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can’t go wrong there. Just go over the whole Bike and freshen up all fluids as it will need it. 

Coolant, trans oil, dot 4 brake fluid, and a few air filters with oil should be on the list. 

EDIT: freshen up forks also.

Always get them running sweet first, then go cosmetic.

Edited by 2 STOKE YZ DOC
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, HansLanda said:

Well I just brought home a 2000 YZ125. It was a pretty good deal, since the bike does need some love, but it runs well and starts 1st kick. I chose a 125 over the 250 to build better habits on the MX track, and so I don't kill myself haha.

At the moment, I need a clutch lever (got an upside down front brake lever), look into the float sticking and overflowing gas, bleed brakes, air filter, and oil change, if I'm not missing anything. 

The bars are a bit low, but I'll ride it a few times, and see if I want bar risers. Cosmetically, I'll powdercoat the frame eventually, and get new plastics and graphics.

 

2017-10-16 19.05.25.jpg

Steel frame YZ 125 is my ride of choice---great find!  Before you go messing with the float level, just replace the needle/seat assembly (about $15).  Ethanol fuel and wear tears those up.  That will likely fix your problem.  

The best money you can spend is on suspension.  Make sure your tuner works with the spring rate as well as the valving.  

Not much else these bikes need.  I leave my engines stock (except for forged pistons), and put the money into chassis and running gear (suspension, brakes, tires).  

Let 'er rip, and budget for clutch plates!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One bad thing is there is a shroud mount on the tank that just spins. The PO must have over tightened the bolt, so it's stuck in the threads, and the whole mount just spins inside the tank. I need to cut it out, and epoxy it back in there. Then use antiseize in the future. Used tanks on ebay are were surprisingly expensive.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put a driver bit in a drill and spin it hot, get behind it with a claw and lift as you spin. Then clean it all up and use fuel rates epoxy. Could last a while it it’s an upper mount.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just riding this thing for a little bit really has me wanting higher bars. I could get some 7/8" to 1 1/8" risers which would lift the bars and let me use a fat bar. But this is extra weight, doesn't have any rubber cushioning, and I don't really like adapters if it's not necessary. 

Looks like this triple clamp on 2006+ models would work well. I could add my own 1 1/8" bar clamps assuming it fits the forks and frame. All previous years have a bar clamp built into the triple clamp. There's a decent one on ebay right now too.

1C3-23435-50-00

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just riding this thing for a little bit really has me wanting higher bars. I could get some 7/8" to 1 1/8" risers which would lift the bars and let me use a fat bar. But this is extra weight, doesn't have any rubber cushioning, and I don't really like adapters if it's not necessary. 

Looks like this triple clamp on 2006+ models would work well. I could add my own 1 1/8" bar clamps assuming it fits the forks and frame. All previous years have a bar clamp built into the triple clamp. There's a decent one on ebay right now too.

1C3-23435-50-00

 

Unless you really want fat-bars, check out the Renthal vintage/desert bars. Got them on my YZ, they sit up nice & high.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CaptDan said:

For a top triple clamp you have to stick to 1996-2003. Best to look for an aftermarket unit on fleaBay.

Windham-bend bars (aka RM tall or KTM) are a good match for the YZ. They're a bit taller with less sweep, and really open up the cockpit.

If you need a replacement tank, may be cheaper to get a used 2002-2019 unit and retrofit to your bike. It's a popular mod.

Good luck! That bike looks like a sweetheart.

1 hour ago, Diverdown said:

Unless you really want fat-bars, check out the Renthal vintage/desert bars. Got them on my YZ, they sit up nice & high.

Thanks guys, those are some great options. A used triple clamp and high bend bars are about equal in price now. I figured a fatbar and some rubber cones would be best for durability.

It's hard not to think about cosmetics right now. But eventually I plan to update the looks with the 2015 airbox and plastics. The current one is cut wide open and was painted ugly. I'll probably end up cutting the 2015 one though. Wish I could change the thread title to 2000 YZ125, haha. Finished product will hopefully look something like this:

71-5i2risiL._SL1000_.jpg.4e491ddf9c32de9d61b56cb0e8357c08.jpg

 

 

Edited by HansLanda
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are threads about converting the 1996-2001 bodywork to 2002+ (and Restyle) plastic, but it involves a lot of time & money, and frankly it ends up reducing the value of the project bike. :facepalm:

Throw on a 2002+ tank & shrouds, 2006+ front number plate, and the front fender of your choice. Then call it good.

With these subtle visual upgrades your ol' YZ will look classically modern and turn heads. :thumbsup: 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2017 at 0:09 PM, HansLanda said:

One bad thing is there is a shroud mount on the tank that just spins. The PO must have over tightened the bolt, so it's stuck in the threads, and the whole mount just spins inside the tank. I need to cut it out, and epoxy it back in there. Then use antiseize in the future. Used tanks on ebay are were surprisingly expensive.

I just fixed one on a 2002 250.

I used a soldering iron. I got it close to the insert and went round it until the plastic let go. I got the bolt out and then used the iron to soften the plastic back and also used a butane torch to heat of the insert.....then put it back inplace. I then used the iron to weld the plastic back into the void areas. It worked out and no epoxy was needed. 

Afterwards I used a nail flattened out and put in my iron....to smooth it back. It's not factory perfect but shroud covers that area.

Edited by Blackwoodz
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CaptDan said:

There are threads about converting the 1996-2001 bodywork to 2002+ (and Restyle) plastic, but it involves a lot of time & money, and frankly it ends up reducing the value of the project bike. :facepalm:

Throw on a 2002+ tank & shrouds, 2006+ front number plate, and the front fender of your choice. Then call it good.

With these subtle visual upgrades your ol' YZ will look classically modern and turn heads. :thumbsup: 

Good luck finding a deal on a used tank.

Guys want $200 for them. You can buy a new acerbis for less

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Good luck finding a deal on a used tank.
Guys want $200 for them. You can buy a new acerbis for less


Never knew that. Put the stocker in a box in the attic and put on the IMS day one. May put it back on for some bling when I'm done rebuilding. I would do fresh plastics and graffiks but I've wasted money there way to many times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ediot said:

 


Never knew that. Put the stocker in a box in the attic and put on the IMS day one. May put it back on for some bling when I'm done rebuilding. I would do fresh plastics and graffiks but I've wasted money there way to many times

 

$60 complete graphics kit on EBay from FLU/Face Lift Unlimited, grnsales in OR pretty cheep. And they made good with me on a crappy set.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×