2018 XCW

Who has ridden both the 250 and 300 xcw carb models?

What did you think of each? Part of me says just get the 300, but I hear the newer 250s are quite impressive and have more grunt than older 250s. 

Looking for something light and nimble compared to my current bike (450RX) for tight woods. But it has to have grunt for hills and slower sections. 

What say you 250 or 300?

I have a 300 XCW i just bought, and a 350 exc-f.  The grunt of the 300 is more than i expected and more then the 350.  I am loving my 300

• Like 2

Both are excellent choices and foundations to build on.250 a little zippier,300 a little more down low grunt.Both can be set up to win.My restored xcw 250 pulls away from a 300 and has the grunt to match with a little more zip.Its all in the way I built it. So ,Its all in what you intend to do with it and how much you want to spend getting it there.Both are great choices but stock for stock, you will want the 300.

• Like 1

Good info, thanks. I have an older 2006 250 XCW as well. Might have a bike for every occasion here soon haha

• Like 2

I have a 16 250w and a 18 300w.  With an sx head the 250w is very close to a 300 plus it revs higher and free-er.  My 300w is bone stock with 2 rides on it, so keep that in mind.  But my immediate thought is the 250w is a sleeper and unappreciated.  I sitps gas and runs cooler then a 300.

I do like my 300 a lot but never scuff at a 250, with a teeny bit of set up they ARE a force in tech.

Edited by Sycamore
  • Like 2

I ride a 17 300 and my buddy rides a 17 250. His does seem to rev better but get into any technical stuff and mine destroys his. I'm also pretty modded so I can't judge stock to stock.

Dealer doesn't get another one in until October. Bummer

I had the same decision when I shopped for new in 2014. I opted for the 250 since it was $1000 cheaper and for that money I could change it to a 300 if I felt compelled. Have to say I do not miss power anywhere with the 250 and the 'zippier' power is fun. She will still lug down like I need and does all I need. The bike outperforms me, plus I had extra money for the mods saving the initial $1000. I still do not see a need to increase it to a 300, would do other mods to improve power if needed. 

• Like 2

My local dealer which is 1.5 hours away,carried KTM and Husky.I went in there a few weeks ago and he has GAS GAS and Sherco added.Talk about choices!! He actually had gotten Sherco ahead of schedule so it is worth looking at other dealers inventory.

• Like 1

I just rode my 300 for the 3rd time.  I get the hype on this bike now.  250 or 300 these new Counterbalanced bikes are the freaking deal.  I've had many new bikes this one is a cut above imo.  Yesterdays ride was a LOT of fire roads and then a TOTAL brush whacking, first gear, bikes steaming (not mine, its got a FAN) affair.  The SMOOTH motor was better then any 4s on the fire roads, and the bush whacking it was amazing since it weighs so little.  PLUS even though I'm a rekluse guy I found it brings a new meaning to chug.

Again I do like the 300 a lot but my fan was on quite a bit and the estart wouldnt work after a while since the battery was drained.  So the 250 likely wouldnt have been an issue in that regard.

You can't go wrone with either but if you are looking for more of that low end tractor power the 300 is the ticket.  I have the 18 300xc-w and it is a woods animal.  First couple of rides I was thinking ok this bike is really nice and was mostly taking it easy getting the feel for it.  I went on a ride last night that was pretty brutal with down logs, steep loose hills, you name it and I was totally impressed.  The more technical and tough the terrain the better this bike performs.  I was on a very long steep hill and started to lose momentum went down into first gear and I dam near idled up the hill it was crazy.  I could not stall the bike and the low end chug on this thing is rediculous.  I know these 300's get hyped to the max like they are a miracle bike but if you are a woods, single track type rider it truly is an awesome bike.  

• Like 1

I've had 2 250's now. My 17 has plenty of low end and winds out so quick even stock. I've added JD kit, SX head and CDI and powercore 2.1. My next bike might be a 300 but for now I'm loving my 250. With my mods I'm pretty sure I'd give a stock 300 a good run. U can always add the 300 kit down the road, 

• Like 2

I have a 14 300 xcw and only because you mentioned hills, I'm going to throw my 2 cents in. The luggability and power has been noted above but I wanted to touch on the  w's gearing. 1st is a granny gear. In the really tight woods, sometimes I'll run in 1st so I can give my hand a break from constantly being on the clutch. It works well for those times but will rev out REAL quick if you get a little bit of a straight. If you're not racing, it doesn't matter. If you are racing, click 2nd for a quick blast and then drop back to 1st I guess. I dunno. I don't race.

2nd gear is similar, maybe a touch lower than 1st on a typical mxer. Because I ride mostly single track and ride like a little bitch, most of my riding is in 2nd. 

Most guys around here climb hills in 2nd. A W's second is equivalent to their 1st. You'll  be wanting 3rd, but of course, 3rd is too high because of the gearing gap.

I absolutely love my bike but in my opinion, the W is not a great bike for hillclimbing. Granted, it works well for me because I avoid the big hills anyway but it might be something to consider. If you do a lot of legit hills, maybe an xc would be a better choice for you

• Like 1

I have an XC-W, with the granny first and second gears. I nearly always climb hills in second. First is very short and the the torque and grunt of the 300, climbing in first usually either spins the tire or wheelies. Of course, a smaller rear sprocket or bigger front would change all that.

1 hour ago, pat22043 said:

I have an XC-W, with the granny first and second gears. I nearly always climb hills in second. First is very short and the the torque and grunt of the 300, climbing in first usually either spins the tire or wheelies. Of course, a smaller rear sprocket or bigger front would change all that.

I do the same but often still feel like I'm running out of gear 2/3 of the way up. It all depends what youre climbing. Like I said, just something to consider for the op,  especially if he's used to a mx tranny

Wish I had my 2006 250 xcw rebuilt before I bought the 450RX. I've had the 250 in the woods this week after the rebuild and wow, it's a great bike. Does vibrate quite a bit and doesn't have E-start, but it's been a fun couple rides.