ktm skid plate or aftermarket for 2017 500 exc?

Just wonder what to order, I have noticed acerbis nice skid plate at half the price of ktm part.

What do you think, is ktm's twice as good?

Edited by motf

On my 17 Husky FE501, I'm running the AXP Xtreme, which also provides protection for the rear shock linkage.

This is the one that fits my bike.  Not sure if it fits the 17 500EXC, but I would think so.  Jeff Slavens would know (he found out for me).

http://axpracing.com/gb/xtrem-skid-plate/533-2016-2017-ktm-450xcf-ax1432.html

• Like 1

I found an AXP on ebay pretty cheap almost half the price.  I was lucky to find it so I jumped in and bought it right away.  I would recommend AXP then metal.

1 hour ago, motf said:

thanks guys, I have ordered acerbis. Prefer plastic plate anyway.

Yeah the acerbiz is simple to routinely remove, and does the job, I run two strips of soft foam on the front frame rails , keeps it nice and snug. echo noise wise, you cant even tell its there and the protection seems fine.

Edited by Spud786

btw  do frame protection covers come standard?  i didn't get it.

6 hours ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

no

actually they do, just checked on mine. They're black so I didn't notice.

5 minutes ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

ok strange - did you buy it new ?

yes, but currently I am in Europe, maybe there they come standard.

In Australia e.g. skid plate comes standard as I heard. Strange policy.

My 17 Husky came with frame protectors and a skid plate.  However, the skid plate was a little thin piece of plastic so I put a beefier one on.

I've been running the cheap KTM skid plate with the quick detach mount on my 500exc the last 4 years and it's held up good so far. Ran the same one on my 350exc before that. Not as beefy as a metal one but it's done it's job with minimal weight added. 

I don't have any issues with a bike not coming with a stock cheap plastic skid plate. All the ones that came on my bikes ended up on a self to be replaced with a thicker better one that will hold up. No reason to pay for a stock one then put it on a shelf. 

I think the TMD is one of the thicker ones. 

just got this acerbis skid plate and as it is very sturdy and all but  that mounting bracket doesn't seem to fit.

Anybody can share experience with mounting this?  one bolt doesn't go through frame hole.

acerbis_skid_plate_ktm_zoom.jpg

27 minutes ago, motf said:

just got this acerbis skid plate and as it is very sturdy and all but  that mounting bracket doesn't seem to fit.

Anybody can share experience with mounting this?  one bolt doesn't go through frame hole.

acerbis_skid_plate_ktm_zoom.jpg