Changing crank bearings/ splitting

So this weekend my crank seized up. I am new to all this and have only been riding since December but I feel if I am going to ride then I should also know how to work on my bikes. So my YZ 250 crank seized up, from the research I have done it looks like I need to split the case and inspect the crank shaft, rod and bearings and that typically the culprit will be one of them. So I guess my questions are:

1. Do I need to split the case to diagnose this issue.

2. Am I correct in my understanding of what the most common culprits are for causing this. 

3. Do you guys have any suggestions for someone never doing this before. 

Any help is always appreciated. 

Thanks. 

Edited by Thomas Sangster

some pretty common factors you listed there. Im somewhat new to dirt riding myself and im one of those people that refuse to pay someone to do something that i can do. So ive done all my own work so far. 

Youtube is your best friend. your second best friend are these forums. Between those two tools you should be able to completely rebuild your bike to spec. for what its worth.. 

• Like 2

A case splitter will be needed. They are not that bad expensive. Be advised that doing your own work is fun, great learning experience, etc, but will cost you the expense of some speciality tools. If you like tools like me, then great. A plastic wedge made for falling trees in the direction you want them to fall works great for the lagging side of the case. Most hookups of the splitter will have a side that acts as though it's lagging behind, almost to the point it could begin to bind. The wedge bumped ever so lightly will keep it moving proportional. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VBV6ZQA?psc=1

Edited by 1gr8bldr
  • Like 1

A manual OEM preferred is the FIRST TOOL, case splitter, crank puller, flywheel puller, then YouTube, and forum. I use composite wedges from Home Depot.

Once you open it up, you can inventory the damage, make a list and get it ordered. 

Edited by P84ONE

rockymountain has inexpensive case splitting tools, flywheel puller, etc. That's what I used. They have a video as well, and it is of a YZ250, at least it used to be. Wrench rabbit sells a complete kit you can order to get everything in one box so you don't forget something....unless going with OEM parts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, johnk408 said:

rockymountain has inexpensive case splitting tools, flywheel puller, etc. That's what I used. They have a video as well, and it is of a YZ250, at least it used to be. Wrench rabbit sells a complete kit you can order to get everything in one box so you don't forget something....unless going with OEM parts.

What all specialty tools will I need? I got the engine out last night so I was going to start ordering everything in a day or so. Thanks

21 hours ago, P84ONE said:

A manual OEM preferred is the FIRST TOOL, case splitter, crank puller, flywheel puller, then YouTube, and forum. I use composite wedges from Home Depot.

Once you open it up, you can inventory the damage, make a list and get it ordered. 

Look on EBay for all three "tusk" tools, I have seen them sold in sets, and you might even find the first one there as well. 

• Like 2