Is my 2007 kx 125 cylinder sleeve nikasil or cast iron?

Hi guys I'm new to thumpertalk... I just took the top end of my 07 kx 125 and discovered there was some scoring on the sleeve I just need to know whether it is nikasil or a cast iron sleeve so i can either get it honed or re plated thanks.

Are you the original owner? If not, then who knows what was done from the time of purchase?? Stock was plated, but it may have been worked on since then.

Look online at pictures of plated and sleeved. It is pretty easy to tell them apart. Since you have posted no pictures of what you are looking at. We are just guessing at what you are seeing.

• Like 1

I don't think plating is magnetic.  Check it with a magnet.

If it is sleeved, chunk it and get a new one.  Either a new one or a used one to have replated.

• Like 1

Nickel is magnetic. Common plating is nickel and silicon carbide composite.

Stock is tungsten I believe. (used to be) Not sure if stock is magnetic. Skip magnet tests. Just look online at the 1,000,000 pics of cylinders available.

5 hours ago, KDXGarage said:

Nickel is magnetic. Common plating is nickel and silicon carbide composite.

Stock is tungsten I believe. (used to be) Not sure if stock is magnetic. Skip magnet tests. Just look online at the 1,000,000 pics of cylinders available.

If it sticks it is a sleeve. If it doesn't it is plated. There isn't enough plating there to hold the magnet. It is pretty obvious if you try it.

Thanks for the replies it turns out it was a sleeve. It had a previous owner and he had scratched the inside of the sleeve and just put a new piston and ring in, so we got it rebored to 0.5 and rebuilt the top end it runs great!20170719_151253.jpg.e3ffea09c82ae3822677b4addf0d0db4.jpg 

Awesome!

I wish they had kept selling them here in the USA. The 2005 was the last model year here. It is cool to see with the 2006+ brown parts and other changes.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, KDXGarage said:

Awesome!

I wish they had kept selling them here in the USA. The 2005 was the last model year here. It is cool to see with the 2006+ brown parts and other changes.

Yeah where I am in south africa they shipped last generation with suzuki kawasakis and hondas where we are we love our 2 strokes