Cleaning K&N air filter

Is it possible to damage or create small holes in the fabric of a K&N filter when cleaning it? I was cleaning the K&N (from my truck) and the hose faucet I used was spraying water fairly hard, but not necessarily harder than when I usually clean filters, which are mostly foam dirt bike filters. It's been a while since I've cleaned a K&N and I'm curious how much water pressure they can handle, since the fabric is so thin. I didn't notice anything different in the filter after washing it, but when I held it up to a bright light there are very tiny openings in between the strands of fabric where dust would pass through without filter oil.

9 minutes ago, rhinoracin said:

Is it possible to damage or create small holes in the fabric of a K&N filter when cleaning it? I was cleaning the K&N (from my truck) and the hose faucet I used was spraying water fairly hard, but not necessarily harder than when I usually clean filters, which are mostly foam dirt bike filters. It's been a while since I've cleaned a K&N and I'm curious how much water pressure they can handle, since the fabric is so thin. I didn't notice anything different in the filter after washing it, but when I held it up to a bright light there are very tiny openings in between the strands of fabric where dust would pass through without filter oil.

That's why they pass dirt. If you take your truck on a dirt road behind another truck it will suck some dirty dust. 

• Like 1

I've been using K&Ns on street driven vehicles, both bike and car/truck and never had a problem.  Read the directions on the bottle of cleaner, it tells you to rinse with running water, not with any force, just tap water speed.  If you use anything stronger you ruined the filter.  Used and cared for properly K&Ns are excellent, they honestly do pass more air.  Just don't use one on your dirt bike.

They do pass more air, they also pass more dirt. And unless your driving a 700hp race car you'll notice the dust in your engine more then the little bit of extra air.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, disposableincome said:

They do pass more air, they also pass more dirt. And unless your driving a 700hp race car you'll notice the dust in your engine more then the little bit of extra air.

Truth. I drive a 800 horsepower street car and still won't run one. Too much invested in my engine to let it eat dirt for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. 

There's some comprehensive comparison online for big diesel truck filters, I went with an AFE product because they score pretty high for both flow and clean. You could drop a basketball down my intake lol.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

Donaldson filters is all I use on everything. Except for the air dog
  • Like 1

I just use a garden hose and my thumb to rinse them off.  If you see little holes in the filter when you hold it up to the sun and look through it, it is worn out.

Even brand new out of the box K&N air filters have tiny holes visible when held up to a light.

In some vehicles, intake air flow sensors (expensive) can be contaminated by the filter's oil (using too much after cleaning).

As others have mentioned, the risk of dirt/dust injestion isn't worth the very little (if any) airflow gains at higher rpms.

I have a 2001 Ford Explorer sport trac 4.0 v6. I've had this K&N in it for a few years, and have cleaned it several times but usually with some amount of water pressure, not just running tap water. I also used Maxima air filter cleaner this last time , not the K&N brand cleaner. I havent had any problem running this filter, my truck is rarely used off-road, let alone in dusty conditions, and I do know the risk with K&N filters off-road. I know I probably damaged this filter so I'll replace it...either OEM style cloth filter or a higher quality performance filter that works better than K&N if I can find one?