82 mph, verified on dirt road, she had more to go . . .

After a 70 mile ride today, I can say that;

1.  The 500 RR-S is still, and simply, an awesome machine.  With just under 1,100 miles and over 50 hours, and with a good fire-road involved caning I gave the bike today, the RR-S is still the tops.  

2.  The issue that I had with having ridden 4-5 miles with no oil in the motor sump is no longer an issue.  Between all the electric starts and how strong the bike pulled all day long, the easy 4-5 miles I had ridden with no engine oil seems to not have done much to the engine.  Of course, the long term is unknown but, if something comes up down the road and it would be worth a new piston and ring, or any top-end/valve work, so be it, I can't be worried about it.  

3.  It is so nice being road-legal as I can hoon to my hearts content on empty dirt roads that I can see are empty for miles and miles and miles and miles and miles-away.  Being able to ride at full-chat, redline in 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th gear is just silly-fun when on these wide-open dirt roads.  50-60 mph powerslides around the bends is just the most fun on this RR-S.  After I decided to go for broke on one of the wide open roads, as I had the Trail Tech set to freeze the top speed of the bike, I was thrilled to see 82 mph with the 13/48 gearing I had and I probably had 10 mph more as I didn't want to gamble any more than I already was at WOT.  Bike is fast and I love it. 

4.  Another one of the best things about the RR-S is that anytime I need or want to dawdle and quiet things down, it is just a matter of pulling on the clutch or just slowing down and the bike is docile and as quiet or quieter than a 50 cc. lawnmower.  Did I say being street legal is just awesome.  Dirt roads that motor vehicles are limited to maybe 20 mph due to the washboard or holes, can be done at a much faster speed on a dual sport as I can just hang the edge between the dirt and the grass/leaves and that line is as smooth as can be and the experience of riding on the razors edge is fulfilling.  

5.  The Pirelli Scorpion Pro DOT rear tire is a keeper.  It is nice that on the road it is smooth enough-or that I've gotten used to riding on asphalt on DOT knobby tires.  The tire hooks up on everything I've asked from it.  I'm waiting for the OEM Michelin front to wear out so I can replace it with a Pirelli Scorpion Pro front.  

The only other mods I'm considering are some lighter footpegs, maybe the Fastway's with the vibration insert, not because I have any issue with vibration but, because they are lighter and are said to have better traction, and if even less vibration is a side effect then good.  I may also do the kickstand bushing mod as I hate the slop on the kickstand.  

P1120816.JPG

P1120815.JPG

• Like 7

Great to see you're back in the saddle with no problems :ride: You can keep adding photos anytime, that bike looks great. Several people have had these things over 100mph and there was still more. Do you have your wheels balanced? Mine shook the fillings out of my teeth over 55mph if I didn't. I wonder what a Supermoto equipped one could do out at a real road race course? I assume around 110 is about it without some sort of improvement to aerodynamics.

Thanks Johnny.   The bike is, I can safely say after 71 miles on the dirt, and not taking it easy on the bike at all, that it is back the way it was before the plastic oil gear change-out.  The white plastics with the 2016 RS graphics is the very best combo that Beta will probably ever have.  I will be sad if I ever need new plastics/graphics and I can't get the 2016 RS graphics and have to go with something else as nothing else looks as good to me.  I'm lucky that the 2017 graphics were not available this past January.  

It is funny as at around 65 mph on the street, it starts becoming not-fun, but on the dirt, it gets even MORE fun.  It is not fun because for some reason, while riding on the street is better than not riding at all, riding on the dirt is just so much better.  

I have at least a couple of ounces of spoke weights I got from Aerostitch on two spokes opposite the rimlock on the front wheel.  I had experimented with all manner of placement on the spokes and have settled on where I have them now so that it is pretty good up to about 65 mph as that is the fastest I had it on the street so far.  I also agree that even starting at about 30 mph, the entire bike would hop and shake with no weights at all.  It is un-rideable over 30 mph with no weights, at least on the front wheel.  I don't have any weights on the rear wheel as I could not find any that could fit the thicker spokes on the rear wheel.  

I'm happy with over 80 mph with the 13/48 gears I'm running.  I wonder if I'll ever even try for that sort of speed ever again.  Something came over me when I realized that it would be nice to find out how fast this bike really is on the wide dirt roads and now I know.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S

39 minutes ago, munstro said:

82 at WOT and 10 to go....maybe. 110, PLEASE. 

Don't laugh, I'm sure Chris and others will chime in soon. Realize he runs out of gear with 13/48, not power. 100 is a cake walk on mine with 15/45 and balanced IRC dual sport tires, then I run out of nuts.

Google the 12 fastest dirt bikes in the World and see who is #3, Beta 450, and imagine a few years development and FI and 480..., with the KTM 450 SXF rated #1 at 123 mph, and the Beta 480 having a 6 speed and about the same HP, well...

I always laugh when non dirt bike people ask "how fast will it go?" since that is not what it's all about, but it is interesting.

Edited by Johnny Depp

Are you sure that you used 6th gear?:lol: OK just joking...

I reckon that with more road gearing, your bike will be good for  120+ mph.

In summer 2010, I used my ...2010 RR450 to commute to work. Bike was converted to motard (for the summer) with 17 inch wheels and road gearing (actually I used the front 'homologation' sprocket that came with it so it should something like 15/48). So I did on a daily basis 170kmh + indicated which is close to 110mph (on a slight incline and with enough traffic, not a flat empty road) and still had more.

I also gave the bike to a journo for a quick test and this is a part of it but better you don't try this in - almost as - sunny Cali or death snedence will be returned, hahaha.

Journo is the same guy that writes many of enduro21 pieces and a former Romaniacs finisher (with a 2010 RR520).

https://youtu.be/kQnjxyBrapU

• Like 1

I always say, if I wanted a street bike, I would have gotten one but a DS is the right thing for me.  I have also thought about another set of supermotor wheels/tires but again, I don't want to go on the highways or any roads with speed limits above 40 mph as while riding on the road on the DS is fun, anything over 40 mph is not so much fun, but a blast on the dirt.  

With 13/48 gearing, the pull in 4th, 5th and even 6th, if one has the sack to hold it in each gear, is way more than enough as from 5,000 rpm on up, the bike hauls azz.  

• Like 1