RR-S speedo wire concerns

As I look at the wire for the speedo wire when I'm riding I think it's going to break sooner than later from the abuse it takes when the forks travel up and down. With the stiff outer housing it seems like all the flex happens right near the end of the thicker housing and the short section of wire that feeds to the connector panel. I've zip-tied the wire just back from the panel connector to act as a strain relief but I think it's going to give up working pretty soon given how much strain and movement it gets.

I haven't encountered this problem on a bike before as they either had a old school mechanical cable that flexed in the middle or the speedo pickup was on the rear wheel.

I'd like feedback on what you guys have experienced and if there's a better routing or ???

20170408_180457-1.jpg

I disconnected all the little black plastic clips that hold the brake line and the speedo wire together above the triple clamps so that they can go their own way. I totally removed BOTH ends of the plastic connector from it's metal connector block so that it was not being yanked on as the forks travel. Then I zip tied around the plastic connector holding it securely together. I had always struggled with a "fluttering" speedo readout and my GPS mileage was twice what the one from the cable was. Problem solved for me. Crappy design that a lot of people have trouble with and call the Voyager manufacturer thinking it was their problem, it is the connector.

Edited by Johnny Depp
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, THE KRAN said:

86 hours and no issues

You have to use all the travel in your forks occasionally for it to yank on the connection. :p

JK

No top speed reports for us?

Edited by Johnny Depp

2 minutes ago, THE KRAN said:

86 hours and no issues

Any changes or bone stock?

I have removed the upper plastic clip and I forget if there was down a bit from that also. I think the only clip(s) I have now are down below the lower triple clamp. 

As I've zip-tied the wire to the harness before it goes to the block panel connector I haven't had the bad connection/fluttering problem Johnny mentioned. I agree those connectors are marginal at best in this application.

1 minute ago, Johnny Depp said:

You have to use all the travel in your forks occasionally for it to yank on the connection. :p

JK

No top speed reports for us?

My oring is at the bottom of the forks......

I don't ride 'top speed' runs.

1 minute ago, danketchpel said:

Any changes or bone stock?

I have removed the upper plastic clip and I forget if there was down a bit from that also. I think the only clip(s) I have now are down below the lower triple clamp. 

As I've zip-tied the wire to the harness before it goes to the block panel connector I haven't had the bad connection/fluttering problem Johnny mentioned. I agree those connectors are marginal at best in this application.

I don't find it to be a concern. The clips move around, and I just added one zip tie.

6 hours ago, THE KRAN said:

86 hours and no issues

317 hrs, 5400 miles and zero problems. I don't even bother anymore to slide the thingy that is supposed to keep the insulation covering the cables in place anymore.

I replaced my 2014 Beta 450RS (first year with the Voyager) speedo cable in the first week of new ownership with a universal cable sold by TrailTech that fits directly to the unit "no jumper".

In 2014 Beta used a short jumper cable to connect the OEM Beta cable to the Voyager unit itself, which can fail.

The one TrailTech provided me was thicker than the Beta installed model, especially down at the sensor, IMHO much more stout. 

The picture I included shows the universal TrailTech cable, not the OEM version. It shows the overall length prior to the reduction of the cable at the top, seems much longer than the OEM supplied cable on my bike as it is zipped to an extra long front brake cable.....

DSC_0001-3_edited-1.JPG

• Like 3

I replaced my 2014 Beta 450RS (first year with the Voyager) speedo cable in the first week of new ownership with a universal cable sold by TrailTech that fits directly to the unit "no jumper".
In 2014 Beta used a short jumper cable to connect the OEM Beta cable to the Voyager unit itself, which can fail.
The one TrailTech provided me was thicker than the Beta installed model, especially down at the sensor, IMHO much more stout. 
The picture I included shows the universal TrailTech cable, not the OEM version. It shows the overall length prior to the reduction of the cable at the top, seems much longer than the OEM supplied cable on my bike as it is zipped to an extra long front brake cable.....
DSC_0001-3_edited-1.JPG.28dd8359a0f8f57292404b93db083709.JPG

Thanks for sharing that! That's a very interesting option.

2017 Beta 500 RR-S
2013 Husky TR 650

Dan, Mine's been riding here for 3 years and 3100 miles, with this routing, so far so good. I'll deal with it as necessary, but seems to keep hanging in there. Eyes water a bit at top speeds though, these things are fast!

IMG_1480.JPG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, desertrat28 said:

Dan, Mine's been riding here for 3 years and 3100 miles, with this routing, so far so good. I'll deal with it as necessary, but seems to keep hanging in there. Eyes water a bit at top speeds though, these things are fast!

IMG_1480.JPG

Nice top speed, did it still have a little left?

• Like 3

Is that with the stock, 15/48 gearing, that 266 mph top speed=color me impressed, wow.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

Is that with the stock, 15/48 gearing, that 266 mph top speed=color me impressed, wow.  

I tried to tell  you the advantages...

50 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

You did and I have not been listening AT ALL!  

I will be taking off the 13T front sprocket and putting back the 15T that the bike had come with.  I am wasting my time on trails where I' need a 13T front anyway.  They are no fun at all and I know this.  I'm missing out on exactly 184 mph of top end speed with my current 13/48 gearing.  WTF is wrong with me?  

Edited by Ben500RR-S
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Johnny Depp said:

Uhh, actually, I'm running 13/48 right now.  The stock 15/48 gearing might yield faster results ;).

• Like 1