09 WR450 burnt starter?

A month ago I was riding in Texas when the weather was 100 degrees and through some technical sections the motor got super hot. I didn't boil over but had to of been damn near. My bike stalled a couple times even though I have a rekluse clutch (jetting issues, not jetted for that weather at all). After about the fourth or fifth attempt the starter would only turn the motor over a few cranks and very slowly. At the time on the trail I thought the battery went dead but later I got home back to Illinois and put another battery I knew I was good in and still the bike barely cranks and then nothing. From experience what did I do? Fry the starter? Could it be anything else? This last week I had the bike in Michigan and it ran like a champ, I just had to kick it (starts first or second kick). 

Yes probably....but what are you hearing exactly.....a motor that turns over slowly, or a starter that is spinning normally, or both?

If it's both, you fried the starter clutch.

If it's one, it's the starter..

16 hours ago, THE KRAN said:

Yes probably....but what are you hearing exactly.....a motor that turns over slowly, or a starter that is spinning normally, or both?

If it's both, you fried the starter clutch.

If it's one, it's the starter..

The motor and starter turn over a few rotations very slowly and then nothing.  I'll check the voltage on the battery when I hit the e button. I'm thinking it's the starter. I've seen the $60 aftermarket starters on ebay. Are they junk like most everything else on there?

Has anyone gone with an aftermarket starter? The aftermarket Rick's is like $180 and the Chinese knockoffs are like $55. Anyone tried either one???

Another question. I don't believe it's the battery. I threw a volt meter on it and checked the voltage under load and the battery would only dip down to 9 volts after holding the button for 10 seconds and the engine not turning. Both batteries I have show a standing voltage of 12.7 volts and the lightweight lithium battery won't drop below 10 volts under load of attempting to start. I have multiple LED lights and I checked the charging with all the lights on I'm still in the 13.5 volts at idle with all the lights on. Is that enough to recharge the battery? I rarely ride with all the lights on and with the bike idling with only the headlight and no LEDS the voltage is up around 14.3. 

Went with an aftermarket starter. Replacing the starter was probably one of the easiest things I've done on the WR. After putting it all back together it started right up! Lesson learned: Wrong jetting= repetitive stalling and restarting= fried starter. For anyone curious, I'll advise to the lifespan of the cheap aftermarket starters. DG Electrical ($56.00) has a one year warranty on their units. 

I hope you keep the original starter motor as a spare? Replace the starter brushes, original parts supplied by your local Yamaha Dealer, and you will be back in business. My '07 has had three sets of brushes for 9000kms. A quick clean of the stator will also help matters.