General light questions

Post some photos please of what type of light you run on your bikes. Everything from cheap lights to the high end BD lights. Pictures of lights, output and beam pattern will help discussion and provide much greater choice making instead of the alternative,

I currently am running the stock lighting on my WR450F 09. I use a set of lights to supplement my stock light

IMG_0853.thumb.JPG.fa75ab29beea82d3b4597134c47bdeca.JPGIMG_0855.thumb.JPG.dfb486eafc12eb756834e7c654334178.JPGIMG_0856.thumb.JPG.498ef34c21c6326204f652033ed4840a.JPG

Not the brightest lights but they were free since I stole them off my road bike. The company now makes better lights that are just newer versions of mine.
https://www.niterider.com/niterider-off-road-lights/

GOPR0030.thumb.JPG.ca86ba5f4c1dc9487ac96ff833b89639.JPG
All three of my lights
IMG_0868.JPG
Just my two LED battery lights. One dying
IMG_0865.JPG

Let's see your set up

Stock XR250R light, a birthday candle has more light.:lol:

But I never ever ride at night so it really doesn't matter.  In fact its been so long since I turned it on I'm not sure it still works.

Just bought a task racing helmet light to race a night race (that I didn't race lol). Thing is pretty bright. Really struggled trying to find where to mount it to my just1 helmet. 

Just bought a task racing helmet light to race a night race (that I didn't race lol). Thing is pretty bright. Really struggled trying to find where to mount it to my just1 helmet. 

Is it all self contained on the helmet or do you have a battery in a back pack or wired to the bike? Photos?

This correct? https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/839/69016/Task-Racing-Moto-Adventure-Helmet-Light

Stick it on that helmet and go stand in the middle of the street let's see

26 minutes ago, bigdave_185 said:

Is it all self contained on the helmet or do you have a battery in a back pack or wired to the bike? Photos?

This correct? https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/839/69016/Task-Racing-Moto-Adventure-Helmet-Light

Stick it on that helmet and go stand in the middle of the street let's see emoji41.png

That's it. Give me 10 minutes to make a video and upload. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, bigdave_185 said:

Stick it on that helmet and go stand in the middle of the street let's see emoji41.png

It's a lot brighter in real life, my iPhone doesn't video well at night. The photo is a little closer to real life but still not quite as bright. 

IMG_0474.JPG

Seeing the bar mount system and the head system I can see two very different needs. While you headlight is always pointing where you are going what about when you get stuck in a nasty log or rock section and you need to look at your feet? Your headlight does nothing to aid but your helmet lights work great. Where ever you look they follow. It's almost dark here to pull the bike out

I finally found out what my stock replacement bulb is on mine, 12v 35/36.5 w bulb.

Now to find a replacement better/brighter bulb

Without getting into a ton a technical details most cameras try to average the scene to 11% grey.  They are by default trying to expose to the same amount of light from shot to shot.  So trying to take picture or videos that demonstrate how bright or dim a light is isn't going to be really accurate.  Basically the camera will always try to make dim lights look brighter and bright lights look dimmer to get them all to that 11% grey exposure level.

Now if one individual used a DSLR under the exact same conditions with the exact same manual settings (F8 aperture, 1/60th shutter speed, ISO 100 film/sensor speed) to capture images of different lights, then the relative differences could be compared from picture to picture.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 1

Without getting into a ton a technical details most cameras try to average the scene to 11% grey.  They are by default trying to expose to the same amount of light from shot to shot.  So trying to take picture or videos that demonstrate how bright or dim a light is isn't going to be really accurate.  Basically the camera will always try to make dim lights look brighter and bright lights look dimmer to get them all to that 11% grey exposure level.
Now if one individual used a DSLR under the exact same conditions with the exact same manual settings (F8 aperture, 1/60th shutter speed, ISO 100 film/sensor speed) to capture images of different lights, then the relative differences could be compared from picture to picture.
Doc

While that is true you still can see from the grey image how far or what distance and beam pattern is displayed by a type of light. Take for instance this photo of the kx, the fence across the street shows really well the distance and view from the light and gives a base of understanding. IMG_0861.JPG

My friends 09kx450 has a eBay set up that works really good for the $30 invested
Used a Kawell 6 Bulb, 18 watt LED light bar. T tapped into the capacitor on the left side of the bike and mounted an on/off switch to the handle bar. And a couple of mirror mounts and "L" brackets to mount the light bar to the handle bars.
IMG_0858.JPG
IMG_0862.JPG
IMG_0859.JPG
IMG_0863.JPGIMG_0861.JPG
IMG_0860.JPG

The farthest baracade is nearly 530ft and you have approx 100ft of width... 
20160220_191438_zpsqqwz77ek.jpg.442944a6713ceaa83e491eef3ad19910.jpg

Wow that is awesome! What is the total investment?

6 minutes ago, bigdave_185 said:

My friends 09kx450 has a eBay set up that works really good for the $30 invested
Used a Kawell 6 Bulb, 18 watt LED light bar. T tapped into the capacitor on the left side of the bike and mounted an on/off switch to the handle bar. And a couple of mirror mounts and "L" brackets to mount the light bar to the handle bars.
IMG_0858.JPG
IMG_0862.JPG
IMG_0859.JPG
IMG_0863.JPGIMG_0861.JPG
IMG_0860.JPG

Wow that is awesome! What is the total investment?

$900us + $150 battery + $170 stator... I figure I wanted to do the Baja 1000 one day so it doesn't hurt to invest...

I also have a smaller single lamp setup which is more convenient for our offroad races.. I use the MotoMinded bracket and just wire it directly to the battery. It's basically just 1 of the dual lights, 4800lumen and 40w draw... 

IMG_20170207_133641_333.jpg