How to register a flea market bike?

So back in the day, early 90's/late 80's, I bought an XT250 fom a guy at a flea market for a couple hundred bucks if I remember right.  I used to ride it around on my property when I lived in Ohio.  I had 5 acres and would take my kids for rides and putt around.  Well, I sold the place and the bike ended up in my shed for the last 17 years.  

I wanted to try and get it fired up so my sons can ride with me but it seems they all the riding places these days want your bike registered and well, I have nothing for the bike.  Does anyone know where to start?  I tried looking up the VIN and that don't even work because it does not have 17 numbers.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

• Like 1

I've moved your post out of the 'snow' section (no snowmobile, right ;)) and into the appropriate dirt bike regional section as someone there might know the laws for Ohio. I'd also suggest contacting the local DMV for advice, you may or may not find a helpful person.

On 8/14/2017 at 6:23 PM, Mike Zeeoneohfour said:

So back in the day, early 90's/late 80's, I bought an XT250 fom a guy at a flea market for a couple hundred bucks if I remember right.  I used to ride it around on my property when I lived in Ohio.  I had 5 acres and would take my kids for rides and putt around.  Well, I sold the place and the bike ended up in my shed for the last 17 years.  

I wanted to try and get it fired up so my sons can ride with me but it seems they all the riding places these days want your bike registered and well, I have nothing for the bike.  Does anyone know where to start?  I tried looking up the VIN and that don't even work because it does not have 17 numbers.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Ohio did not title dirt bikes prior to 1999. 

Likely you can have the VIN# inspected and a notarized statement it is in fact yours. My guess is that may be all you need to get a title. 

A number of States don't require a title for older vehicles. A bill of sale is sufficient.