Riding Idaho city

A few buddies and I are planning on making the trek to ride some single track in Idaho city this September.  I was hoping to get some info of a good place to tent camp that we can also ride right out of? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

On 8/19/2017 at 7:49 PM, slash925 said:

CONTACT SOMEONE IN THE ITMA ( IDAHO TRAIL MACHINE ASSOCIATION )

I see you are from Idaho. Why not give him some helpful friendly American advice?

On 8/14/2017 at 8:52 PM, Scott Wesner said:

A few buddies and I are planning on making the trek to ride some single track in Idaho city this September.  I was hoping to get some info of a good place to tent camp that we can also ride right out of? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Quick question; why Idaho City? There is soo much insane mountain ST around Idaho IDK why you'd pick Idaho City.

Edited by schrode

I think the reason to pick Idaho City is, even though there are hundreds (thousands) of miles of ST in Idaho, that area may have the greatest concentration. Also, depending on where you are coming from it is the easiest to get to. I'll start off by saying I and my 18 YO son are beginning ST riders, but know this area for camping, roads and rivers.

You can tent camp almost anywhere, primitive camping (dry camping) is allowed in most areas. This is not directed at the OP, but don't be an ass and litter up the place, and make new fire pits, etc. Pack it in, pack it out. It is sad to see people try to burn their garbage and more than half of it stays there. I'll stop right there, a post like that could go on for pages.

If you want a campground, look at the Boise National Forest website, as that is who administers the campgrounds in this area. Also, on that website, pay attention to the OHV riding and camping link, as that will show you where campgrounds are near trail riding, and where the trails are.

There are some campgrounds right next to the highway, 10 Mile, Bad Bear, Hayfork, further up Edna Creek. The creeks near Idaho City are small, Mores Creek and Grimes Creek. Off the highway to the east you have North and Middle Fork Boise River. More of a drive but beautiful rivers.

Just up the road from Idaho City is Thorn Creek Trailhead, which we used to call Steamboat. The road is on the right about a mile or so out of town, It was/is an old tubing/sledding area in the winter, with an area flattened out from the hydraulic mining rubble. Not as nice as a developed campground, pretty rocky, but plenty of room, and two creeks right next to it.

A bit further up the road from Idaho City a couple miles, is Granite Creek/Rabbit Creek road. There are a few spots by the creek, and across the highway is a very large area, once again this is all undeveloped. There are pit toilets in the parking lot. This is a good access point to some single track.

The trails website is mostly what you need to find the trails. 

http://trails.idaho.gov

https://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/boise/recreation/ohv

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/trails/info/idaho_06385/ride_2262.htm

If you have any questions, ask. If I don't know I'll look into it for you.

Dave Spencer

2005 KTM 400 EXC

2007 Honda CRF250X

• Like 1