85xr350r rear drum brakes

I got a 85 xr350r a couple months ago it came in pieces and it's my first dirt bike so I don't know much when it comes to working on it. It came with no chain and pretty worn rear shoes and after getting g all the other kinks out of the bike I ordered them. Well I put them in and if I put the axel to where the chain is good the rear tire is locked up if I put it to where the brakes can turn the chain is way too loose.. In order to get them both right I have to move the axel all the way forward but I would have to cut the chain and something just doesn't seem right. What is the proper way to fit it all together. I'm just hoping it didn't mess up cutting the chain to the old brake shoes the wife will kill me if I tell her I have to order a new chain now.

If it has a drum, then there should be an adjuster.

Make sure the backing plate is aligned in the slot on the swingarm properly; If it is, the adjuster is on the end of the rod coming from the brake pedal that runs along the top of the swingarm to the brake arm.

If you can't get enough adjustment out of the adjuster you can take the brake arm off and turn it forwards one spline to get more adjustment.

When it comes to motorcycles, your wife doesn't need to know everything.  Some things are sacred.

Edited by Jimmy Pascol
  • Like 1