2001 Honda XR200r Rebuild

I bought a 2001 xr200r bike as a project and am in the process of rebuilding it. I have never rebuilt a bike before, only automotive engines and was intrigued by the versatility and challenge of doing something I've never done before, plus who doesn't want a dirt bike?

I have been told that I can bore out the cylinder in order to accommodate an xr250r piston. I have done research on the differences between the two motors through schematics and specifications, but I still have some questions and concerns.

1. Is an xr250r top end compatible with an xr200r bottom end?

2. Is rejetting the xr200r carb enough or should I upgrade to a xr250r carb and fuel tank?

3. Can it remain a two valve system or would I rebuild the whole top end with a xr250r 4 valve?

4. Dry sump vs. wet sump?

5. Is it worth the power difference?

6. Higher performance bearings in the bottom end to handle the power difference?

7. Available kits or call a machine shop?

Like I said, this is the first time I have ever done this so inexperienced is a kind way of saying I'm pretty in the dark here, but looking to learn and build a beautiful machine for next season. Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks! 

CatXR,

You can not put an XR250R piston in your 2001 XR200 w/o throwing ubber amounts of $$$ at your build. 

You should do some research on the 218 stroker modification, Chuck & Chadzu have threads you can follow. 

The 2001 has the shorter suspension, so IMHO you should entertain getting the suspension sorted 1st. If 

you put all that money in the motor w/o the suspension, it's kind of a waste. 

It's time to create a wish list and see what is within your budget and kind of go from there. If power is

what you wanted, the XR200R was a bad choice, you would have been better off with a 250F, X, etc..

If you were looking for a fun light play bike, you just got one.

Michael 

• Like 2

One needs to keep in mind this engine started out in 1970 at 100cc's...........already has lots of mods! ;)

Old School Al

4 hours ago, WWalker said:

Is the bike currently in good running condition?

No. I've got the engine completely taken apart right now and am deciding how I want to put it back together. 

• Like 1

Right on man...good luck. Here's a build thread I had when I did mine in 2012.

I had a problem and got frustrated with it...put it away in the garage....only to begin work about a year later. 

The guys on this forum walked me through this whole process. To this day the bike still runs strong....much to my surprise!

What size piston is in it?  If stock you can put the 66mm wiesco piston in it.  Have a machine shop hone the Cyl. for the new piston.

The bottom end is pretty reliable, and unless there is a specific problem I wouldn't mess with it.  Put a new cam chain and sprocket along with the chain guide/tensioner.

No mention of how the head looks?  The camshaft bearing surface tends to get damaged first.  If its all good in the head inspect the vavles and replace if they are getting sharp edges.

This is all you need to do to have a good running motor that will last quite a while.  You can certainly hot rod this motor a bit but its going to cost more than the bikes worth.

I like to say that I have the most expensive $500 xr200 around........

• Like 1