Newbies what bikes should we buy

Looking to get a used bike for my son 14yrs old about 110 lbs / 5'5" . Ttr, yz,yzf ,cr, etc......so many things out there. I have been a street bike rider but he has not ridden really before. 

But would like to know what type in each Mfg I should concentrate on...all he mfg have so many types. But for newbies want to make sure we don't get anything crazy to start with but but grow into. But something that is a good start so if he wants to continue more seriously it is a good start.

What type of riding will you be doing ?

MX tracks, trail / off-roading etc.

8 hours ago, zachariah655 said:

Can never go wrong with a yz125 

uh yep you can go wrong with a YZ125....esp with a 5'5" 14 year old that may have never ridden.

Original poster, if you answer back mlatour above we can get you headed in the right direction.  Generally speaking "dirt bikes" come in about 4-5 flavors/model line ups:

Dual Sport = heavy and very compromised.   Not great on street; not great on dirt.

Trail Bikes = air cooled, low horsepower.  Good for beginners.  Older technology.  Much cheaper.  Hold their value.

Offroad/Enduro bikes = water cooled.  Higher horsepower/higher technology.  Optimized for trail and offroad riding with regard to engines, gearing, brakes and suspension.  Quite a bit more expensive than trail bikes.  Many have lights and in some states can be converted to plated bikes that are street legal but really meant for offroading.

Cross Country = same as Offroad/Enduro, but fill the gap between MX bikes and Enduro bikes.  There are some compromises but there are only a few bikes in this category and mainly KTM/Husky with a few new models from Yamaha/Honda.

Motocross = watercooled, high horsepower, high tech.  Tightly wound high revving motors and stiff suspension.  Many consider used ones to be ticking time bombs esp in the 4 stroke category.  For experienced riders only and for those riding tracks.

We can start filling you in on models or you can look at manufacturers websites and start seeing the differentiation.  Once you provide a bit more info, we can do a better job on recommendations.  Are you planning to ride along with son?  What about other family members?  sizes, ages, gender and experience can go along way to us giving decent starting point recommendations.

• Like 1

Are you planning to ride along with son?  What about other family members?  sizes, ages, gender and experience can go along way to us giving decent starting point recommendations...........

thanks for all the input here! And here is answer to these questions.

other member right now not interested. Maybe the 15 & 11 year old girl might once gets a taste of it. Wife has no interest. 

Right now I see us doing more trails. Due to or city location we will have to trailer to ny state etc...these bike will be trail  bike but would like to think that if we wanted to do something a little more aggressive we could or at least he could. Again he has not ridden before. He is avid mountain biker who wants more speed now.

CRF150F or CRF230F.... Both bikes are great learning tools and can be bought and sold for nearly the same price after he's used it for a year to learn the basics before moving up.  Between those two bikes go with the biggest of the two that he can flat foot.  For a beginner being able to flat foot the bike will significantly  improve confidence and reduce the learning curve.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Doc_d said:

CRF150F or CRF230F.... Both bikes are great learning tools and can be bought and sold for nearly the same price after he's used it for a year to learn the basics before moving up.  Between those two bikes go with the biggest of the two that he can flat foot.  For a beginner being able to flat foot the bike will significantly  improve confidence and reduce the learning curve.

Bingo!

The Honda XR's and CRF's are great starter bikes. Tame and steady, but still powerful enough to remain fun after you guys get some confidence.
I recommend the XR200 or CRF230 for a mid-teen and or new adult.

Yamaha also has a very similar line, the TTR series.

Both the Honda XR/CRF's and Yamaha TTR's are air cooled and very easy to work on and parts are readily available so you can't go wrong with either!

Is your son particularly tall or short?
As that does play a factor as well. If he's pretty short an XR/CRF/TTR 200 may be a bit too tall.
If that's the case I'd look into the Yamaha TTR125.

You want to shoot for his feet sitting nearly flat while sitting on center of seat.
Tippy toes = too tall.
Flat footed with knees bent = too short.

You can always walk into your local dealer and have a look and sit on a few!
Then go to craigslist.

Welcome to the dirtbike riding world! :)

• Like 2

All the input has been great!!!! Really thx for all the comments.

inhave to opportunity now to purchase a 07 trr 125 for $800 which needs rear tire, battery, rusted chain, etc...hours are unknown but it is suppose to be in good shape. I am weighting this against a 2012 with 20 hours in perfect shape for $1300. Any advise. Like to save the $ but will it be worth it? What else will go wrong....

• Like 1

If the first bike needs all that it's no deal. Plus it shows PO didn't take care of wear items so it may never even have had an oil change! Go for the 12 and see if they'll budge on price. But 1300 for it seems ok

Sent from my XT1635-01 using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Young.OlearyFamiliy said:

All the input has been great!!!! Really thx for all the comments.

inhave to opportunity now to purchase a 07 trr 125 for $800 which needs rear tire, battery, rusted chain, etc...hours are unknown but it is suppose to be in good shape. I am weighting this against a 2012 with 20 hours in perfect shape for $1300. Any advise. Like to save the $ but will it be worth it? What else will go wrong....

Go for the '12.  The first one sounds like s money pit.  There is no such thing as a well cared for bike that has a rusty chain.  By the time you replace everything you listed on the first one you'll have as much in it as the second one.

Doc

Edited by Doc_d