Jump to content

Yz250 Hinson Clutch Basket Play

Recommended Posts

Has anyone ever had a Hinson clutch basket wear out where it rides on the bearing?

I have a 2011 yz250 with a Hinson basket and what looks to be all OEM inner hub, plates, etc. I noticed a rattle coming from the clutch area when the lever is out. It seemed to lessen/disappear with the lever in. I inspected the basket, gear on the back, and the shaft. The only play I could find is the clutch basket, rocking back and forth slightly with the inner hub and nut tight. I replaced the bearing and sleeve it rides on but the play remains along with the noise when running. Is the next step to replace the basket despite it looking to have next to no wear?

I've read through a bunch of threads on this, but I haven't seen anyone come to the conclusion it was the basket. Any help is appreciated!

Edited by EEE299

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wwillf01 said:

The rubber bushings most likely are worn

I don't understand how the rubber bushings would cause this. The play is in the whole basket, not just the gear on the back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a wiseco basket loosen up where the little gear goes in the basket. They warranteed it. At the same time the large gear that you bolt on was wobbling. It ended up breaking the inner hub twice ,also Wiseco. Make sure you have fresh thrust washers in there our problem went away when we put a new stock inner hub back in.My kid rode it pretty hard. I'm riding it now and haven't had the issue again.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, P84ONE said:

Sure it's not the carrier bearing inside case? I would pull the whole basket out, check shaft. 

Yup, I made sure to check the shaft both times I had the basket out. No play up/down or side to side. There is movement in the axial direction (shaft moves in and out slightly without the basket and inner hub assembled), but I thought that was normal at the time?

Edited by EEE299
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, futurenow said:

I had a wiseco basket loosen up where the little gear goes in the basket. They warranteed it. At the same time the large gear that you bolt on was wobbling. It ended up breaking the inner hub twice ,also Wiseco. Make sure you have fresh thrust washers in there our problem went away when we put a new stock inner hub back in.My kid rode it pretty hard. I'm riding it now and haven't had the issue again.

 

I checked both gears when I had the basket out, no play in either. I ordered a OEM basket and plan to try that when it comes in. I'm fairly sure my inner hub is stock as well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never seen the needle bearings or collar wear. Is that where most of the play is coming from?

Additionally, the kick start gear is tightly pressed and all the rivets and/or bolt are tight on primary gear ring? 

Just asking to help out. 

In and out play on shaft is normal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, P84ONE said:

Never seen the needle bearings or collar wear. Is that where most of the play is coming from?

Additionally, the kick start gear is tightly pressed and all the rivets and/or bolt are tight on primary gear ring? 

Just asking to help out. 

In and out play on shaft is normal. 

The bearing is where all of the play appears to be coming from. I replaced it knowing it should not be a high wear area and not any surprise the old bearing looked fine. I figured the only thing left is the basket not that the old one should be worn either. A new OEM basket should be here tomorrow and hopefully I'll have time to put it in.

I did check the primary and kick start gears. Both were fine, zero movement. I will check the bolts for the primary gear ring when I take it apart again.

Edited by EEE299
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a hinson basket where the small gearing came loose, the little bolts, i think it where 3 ppieces, that holds it came loose.

you need to take the big gearing and the rubber bushings off to get to this little bolts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EEE299 said:

The bearing is where all of the play appears to be coming from. I replaced it knowing it should not be a high wear area and not any surprise the old bearing looked fine. I figured the only thing left is the basket not that the old one should be worn either. A new OEM basket should be here tomorrow and hopefully I'll have time to put it in.

I did check the primary and kick start gears. Both were fine, zero movement. I will check the bolts for the primary gear ring when I take it apart again.

In replacing the bearing, did you also replace the collar and inner/outer thrust washers? 

1 hour ago, Matthias V. said:

I had a hinson basket where the small gearing came loose, the little bolts, i think it where 3 ppieces, that holds it came loose.

you need to take the big gearing and the rubber bushings off to get to this little bolts.

I'm not to familiar with the Hinson basket, but that does sound like a culprit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



I'm not to familiar with the Hinson basket, but that does sound like a culprit.  


I did replace the collar and inner thrust washer. I have ordered the outer thrust washer with the new basket.

I thought I would have felt something loose when I had the Hinson basket off. I tried moving both gears by hand with it off, and I couldn't see any play in the basket itself.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to update: I got the OEM basket in and it seems to have gotten rid of some play. There is a little bit left and it is definitely coming from the bearing/sleeve/basket as I thought. I have read some people say that a little play is normal. I don't know if that's true or not but everything is brand new now so I'm going to stick with that theory for now.

Despite this, it did not fix the rattling. I believe its coming from the water pump now after reading how to use a screw driver to locate the noise better. From the diagram it looks like there is only one bearing? I'm considering ordering the bearing and seals before I tear it apart. Is it likely the bearing or should I wait to take a look?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I noticed a rattle coming from the clutch area when the lever is out. It seemed to lessen/disappear with the lever in.

A certain amount of this is normal, have you noticed a sudden change in the volume? Is there other YZ 250's around to compare with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my experience yzs are really noisy .my 250 makes the same kind of noise( from what your describing) as soon as fibers wear in. If I pull in my lever in it goes away presumably from loading the clutch assy with spring pressure. If you go to a local motocross and stand near the track you can hear noise coming from yzs...lol. not knocking them I love em. It is just one bearing on water pump.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2017 at 9:37 PM, Kinger317 said:


A certain amount of this is normal, have you noticed a sudden change in the volume? Is there other YZ 250's around to compare with?

It definitely is louder than normal and I just noticed any noise last ride. I'm fairly sure it is a water pump issue after ruling the clutch out.

Edited by EEE299
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, futurenow said:

In my experience yzs are really noisy .my 250 makes the same kind of noise( from what your describing) as soon as fibers wear in. If I pull in my lever in it goes away presumably from loading the clutch assy with spring pressure. If you go to a local motocross and stand near the track you can hear noise coming from yzs...lol. not knocking them I love em. It is just one bearing on water pump.

Normal clutch noise I'm not worried about. I ordered the water pump bearing and seals so I will be replacing them this week. Hopefully that fixes it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
It definitely is louder than normal and I just noticed any noise last ride. I'm fairly sure it is a water pump issue after ruling the clutch out.

If you have the right side case off check the needle bearings in the governor, there is one with thrust washers on each side of the linkage coupler. I have seen/heard them get pretty clapped out on older bikes, not so much for a 2011 but might as well check if you are in there.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Kinger317 said:


If you have the right side case off check the needle bearings in the governor, there is one with thrust washers on each side of the linkage coupler. I have seen/heard them get pretty clapped out on older bikes, not so much for a 2011 but might as well check if you are in there.

Thanks, will do!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is an update for anyone curious.

Quite honestly, I’m fairly confused at this point. Last week I did the bearing, sleeve washers, and put a new OEM basket in. Little to no difference in the play or the noise. At this point I listened more carefully, and thought the noise was coming from the water pump area. I got the water pump bearing and seals and pulled it apart yesterday.

What I found was not very comforting:

1.       The brand new OEM basket has scrape marks all the way around the back ¼ and a little farther forward on the basket. The OEM basket was only run for about 10 minutes to listen for the noise. The Hinson that came out (at least 70 hrs) had one tiny mark half up the basket that looked like it MAY have hit something in the case. I can NOT for the life of me figure out where it is hitting in the case. There are a few marks on the outer most clutch cover that would explain the less sever scrapes farther out on the basket. There is nothing that looks like it touched the back portion of the basket. I did not hear ‘scraping’ type noises just the rattle I had previously.

2.       The water pump bearing seemed ok but I am going to replace it along with the 2 governor bearings, the one in the case seems rough and has play.

I’m not sure what to do about the clutch basket, other than tear it down and check the shaft for the 4th time. It showed no signs of wear the first three times though. The noise did seem to come from the water pump area so that may solve that problem, but I still don’t know about the clutch basket.

Yes, I know, I need pictures. I will post as soon as I can… I was flustered and in a rush to order governor bearings while they would still ship same day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×