Should I buy an '04 CRF450R for $1k

The bike supposedly hasn't been ridden in 8 months, needs new tires, muffler needs to be repacked, but it apparently recently had a thorough rebuild. Despite this, it is a difficult bike to kick start. From the pics it looks as if it used to have been raced. It does run tho if you are able to kick thru the compression

CRF.jpg

CRFf.jpg

Edited by GotJokz

If you're willing to put $2k into it to make it a solid bike, then yes.  

If you think you are getting a bike that only needs tires and to pack the muffler and you have a solid bike, you will be sorely disappointed.

Plan on an engine rebuild, and a suspension rebuild. Any owner that claims to take care of the bike but the tires shot and it will not start is not being honest. I'd pass.

• Like 3

Pass..... it's usually cheaper to spend more on the front end than to spend money on repairs on the back end. After you fix it it is still going to be an 04

I picked up an 06 450R and 04 CR250R 2T on a trade deal.  Looked great....however that was not the case.  Spent the next month wrenching on 450r to get it running.  Valve shims on a "perfectly running" bike...who knew?  At least I got to ride the smoker the entire time.

5 hours ago, GotJokz said:

The bike supposedly hasn't been ridden in 8 months, needs new tires, muffler needs to be repacked, but it apparently recently had a thorough rebuild. Despite this, it is a difficult bike to kick start. From the pics it looks as if it used to have been raced. It does run tho if you are able to kick thru the compression

Its probably rooted is why it hasnt been ridden in 8 months - probably been trying to sell it for 8 months.

Thorough rebuild - on what ? - B.S - they always say that - you cant strip the engine down b4 you buy it to see if it has.

Expect an engine rebuild - if you havent any knowledge of rebuilding engines then you will be paying someone to do it.

found it on cl. he's asking 1500, he'll take 1K? suprising

only other one close in price is 1800.

i'd say it more depends on you than the bike. if you got the skills and ur up for a project go for it.

if you don't, save up for that '03 or '07 in harrah. better yet don't buy a bike anywhere close to any dunes, lol

here's the key: hasn't been ridden in 8 months, needs new tires, muffler needs to be repacked, but it apparently recently had a thorough rebuild. Despite this, it is a difficult bike to kick start. It does run tho if you are able to kick thru the compression

They missed the timing when they did the engine. I bet I could have that thing purring in an hour, for free.

If it's been sitting 8+ months with gas in it the carb is probably going to need to be cleaned out too.

Even a great bike will need something. This one seems like it will need at least a good once-over. If you have to "kick through the compression" something isn't right with the decompression mechanism. Several red flags going up here

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Chrisy Wright said:

right valve problem on the 04s mines was always needing shimmed after reading up they were built like that

Sent from my SM-G935F using ThumperTalk mobile app

It's not just the 04's. They all lose that one. The sand in the air doesn't turn the corner well and almost universally goes through that valve.

Unless you know the person who is selling the bike and you trust them, or they can produce authentic receipts for the rebuild I would pass. Put it this way, if you just had a thorough rebuild done but the bike did not run right would you just leave it at that?! No you would return to the shop that rebuilt it and force them to resolve the issue. And if it was a home rebuild you would still go at it until you found the problem and resolved it.

That bike does not look like a bike that was maintained well, if it all. To me, other then the front disc not looking rusted, it looks like it has been rotting outdoors for years. You run a very high risk of ending up with junk you will need to part out just to get your money back.

Keep looking you can do better

Edited by mrmoto35