Looking at TTR125LE for first dirt bike

Hey guys,

I am an adult 5'-7" tall and 150lbs.  I started motorcycling 2 years ago on road and rural dirt roads first with a DR650 which was too heavy for a beginner but ok once I learned how to ride.  Still, it was frustratingly top heavy and I was riding road and dirt roads mostly.  When I took my motorcycling class, the Yamaha TW200 I rode really opened my eyes to light bikes and after a year I sold the DR for my WR250R.  Well this summer I took a break from riding road, and put the knobbies back on the WR to ride only woods trails and no road.  It's okay but heavy for the tighter technical trails that are in my area at 300lbs wet weight, front heavy, and top heavy.  No fun.

I am looking into a 2005 TTR125LE for sale at $1350.  Link to photo album.  It looks almost mint condition, owner says it has new sprockets, chain, shifter, and pegs.  Fresh suspension and HD springs too.   I don't know what is the deal with the new pegs, but I can see it has been ridden a bit, but not a lot, by the wear on the cases.  The shifter I can see and the sprocket/pegs are a wear item.  I haven't contacted the owner yet.

Do you guys think a TTR125LE(big wheel) is a good choice for me to ride the local woods trails?  I like that this one has hd springs since I read here that the forks are soft for bigger riders.  This one for sale looks decent and I think I can get the seller down in price a little but I'd like to hear what you think.  Keep in mind my state has a high cost of living so local items cost more.

Thank you

Edit: As far a budget goes I like this price bracket if it is a decent choice for some fun on the trails and only 200lbs.

Edited by GerGa

That bike is mine, lol.....what are the odds.....

My son who was riding it is about your size, & does not ride hard. It is in very nice shape & last week I 

installed the chain & sprockets, larger pegs, & a HD shifter. It didn't need the pegs or shifter,

I just did it to make shifting easier.  Then he tells me that riding really isn't for him.    :(

I have some extra parts for it too. You would not be dissappointed. Light & reliable bike.

• Like 1

Wow what are the odds.
Looks like its in good condition. Agreed stronger springs is nice option. My wife liked her TTR125L it was good to her. She did eventually upgrade slightly to a KLX140L since we ran into a good deal for a pair of them. Son needed new bike as well. But we paid more for the KLX 140L its in a different price bracket from what I've noticed.

Sent from my VS988 using ThumperTalk mobile app

I made my first bike which was a 2007 TTR125LE street legal and it was a lot of fun. I was 16, 6'2", 155lbs when I had it and I could fly through the trails. So nimble and light I could dust bigger, heavier bikes. I traded it and cash for an 06 wr450. I got $1500 for the bike in that deal. I'd say $1350 is on the higher end for a 12 year old trail bike. These bikes are tanks and are excellent trail bikes with all of the oem parts from the factory. I'd get it if the price is right. I don't enjoy the 450 much in technical trails and would much rather have a ttr230. I would like the extra power of the 230 than a 125 for even faster riding. But that's just me, typical 18yr old wanting to go fast all the time.

Hey guys,
I am an adult 5'-7" tall and 150lbs.  I started motorcycling 2 years ago on road and rural dirt roads first with a DR650 which was too heavy for a beginner but ok once I learned how to ride.  Still, it was frustratingly top heavy and I was riding road and dirt roads mostly.  When I took my motorcycling class, the Yamaha TW200 I rode really opened my eyes to light bikes and after a year I sold the DR for my WR250R.  Well this summer I took a break from riding road, and put the knobbies back on the WR to ride only woods trails and no road.  It's okay but heavy for the tighter technical trails that are in my area at 300lbs wet weight, front heavy, and top heavy.  No fun.
I am looking into a 2005 TTR125LE for sale at $1350.  Link to photo album.  It looks almost mint condition, owner says it has new sprockets, chain, shifter, and pegs.  Fresh suspension and HD springs too.   I don't know what is the deal with the new pegs, but I can see it has been ridden a bit, but not a lot, by the wear on the cases.  The shifter I can see and the sprocket/pegs are a wear item.  I haven't contacted the owner yet.
Do you guys think a TTR125LE(big wheel) is a good choice for me to ride the local woods trails?  I like that this one has hd springs since I read here that the forks are soft for bigger riders.  This one for sale looks decent and I think I can get the seller down in price a little but I'd like to hear what you think.  Keep in mind my state has a high cost of living so local items cost more.
Thank you
Edit: As far a budget goes I like this price bracket if it is a decent choice for some fun on the trails and only 200lbs.

No