New to me XRL!

Found a decent 04 L for $2k with 10k miles on her. Owner had all records since 2008.

IMG_0080.JPG

She looked like this when I rode her home.

IMG_0082.JPG

And looked like this the next evening.

So far, I've done Dave's mods with desmog, desnorkle, and a UNI filter. Went 14 tooth fritz front sprocket and leaving back at 45 for now. (Have a 48 setting here)

Fresh amsoil, new filter, cleaned strainer screen, adjusted valves, and have it apart waiting for lowering link and new springs.

Not too bad for owning it a week!

I'm learning lots and will be sure to use search function. Just had to share!!!

Mark

• Like 1

Congratulations. I picked up an 08 this year and put a bunch of mods into the bike and love it. What windshield did he have on there? And the rack and back is ginormous I think you could carry a case of beer on that or probably too. LOL. If you do any dirt riding I would suggest a 13 tooth counter sprocket

I don't know what shield he had on it. I took the shield and the rack off straight away. I'm not a hoarder of parts..... so I wound up throwing it away.

As for the sprocket sizes. It's all Greek to me. I'm not an experienced rider at all. It's mainly a commuter and gravel road rig with an occasional trail if I get a wild hair. I know that with 14/45 I can hit 75 easily, and I also know 75 isn't comfortable on this bike for me.

Is 13/45 going to allow 60-65 cruising without wrapping it to the moon?

On 8/15/2017 at 5:36 PM, 2muchtq said:

Is 13/45 going to allow 60-65 cruising without wrapping it to the moon?

If you want gearing that low, go 14/48 instead.  That's what I use for more serious dirt riding.  It will run at 65 mph no problem.

I just put on 14/48. With that an the FCR carb it doesnt even feel like the same bike as with the stock gearing. And it only takes about 10-15 minutes to switch out the counter sprocket if im planning to run the bike on the highway.

Thanks guys! I have my 48 rear sprocket setting here. So far, 14/45 is working ok for everywhere I’ve been.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 5:33 PM, 2muchtq said:

I don't know what shield he had on it. I took the shield and the rack off straight away. I'm not a hoarder of parts..... so I wound up throwing it away.

Yeah that was a hideous looking fairing, nice looking bike now.

• Like 1

Just catching up. 800 miles later, put a new clutch lever on her. Seems front end washing out (my fault totally) eats the lever first.

So far, nothing but smiles. My mileage isn’t good though..... 35-37 is all I can squeak out. May have something to do with hauling my rotund ass around though........ (I’m a big’un, 3-320, nekkid)

9 hours ago, 2muchtq said:

Just catching up. 800 miles later, put a new clutch lever on her. Seems front end washing out (my fault totally) eats the lever first.

So far, nothing but smiles. My mileage isn’t good though..... 35-37 is all I can squeak out. May have something to do with hauling my rotund ass around though........ (I’m a big’un, 3-320, nekkid)

Get a set of Cycra hand guards and install them.  That should put an end to broken levers.  I have them on mine and haven't broken a lever yet, even though the bike has probably been down at least a dozen times.  I broke the bolts once that hold the bars onto the clamps once, but not any levers.

Mileage is about what you should expect.  Once mine had a high compression piston installed, the mileage went up to 40-45.