anybody found neutral on 2017 500 exc?

Just fiddling around with my new bike which was delivered today and I was surprised I couldn't find neutral at stop while engine is running.

When I switched the engine putting neutral was easy. Is it another KTM thing?

I have trouble finding it on mine as well.  I've read it gets better with an oil change which I am having done right now.

To my knowledge ktms have always had a very narrow neutral notch compared to Japanese bikes, I recall back around the late 80's , I knew a guy who came off a Honda 125 to a ktm 125, and I watched him having fits trying to find neutral.  But how often have you ever missed a first to second gear change , on a ktm?

The fact is it takes a very light feely type touch. People talk about different oils, but that doesn't change the fact, they have a very narrow neutral notch. Accept that fact and learn adaptation techniques.

I think the gear box is Nice shift wise, myself (Important), but yeah the neutral can be touchy.

Just another way to shave off some weight - eliminate that pesky neutral!  Actually, there just is not a solid detent at neutral like most bikes have, it is very subtle.

• Like 2

Yes neutral is touchy on KTMs....always will be I expect, but you say you have a new bike.....things can loosen up after you start getting some real hours on the transmission...hopefully that will make finding neutral a little easier.

16 minutes ago, travertt said:

Yes neutral is touchy on KTMs....always will be I expect, but you say you have a new bike.....things can loosen up after you start getting some real hours on the transmission...hopefully that will make finding neutral a little easier.

All but impossible to find it if your bike has a Rekluse clutch. ;)

ok, thanks. It's my first KTM - need to really get used to it :)

Edited by motf

good the know the N is somewhere there though, so I keep searching.

• Like 1

450 miles on mine a real PIA, easy to find when the bike is off, I found 10 w 50 oil works better than other viscosities, semi synthetic MA 10 w 50 yamalube works good for about 100 miles, when oil is dirty its real hard. yeah I know yamahlube.

1 hour ago, shampoochie said:

450 miles on mine a real PIA, easy to find when the bike is off, I found 10 w 50 oil works better than other viscosities, semi synthetic MA 10 w 50 yamalube works good for about 100 miles, when oil is dirty its real hard. yeah I know yamahlube.

So you have to spend $14 per quart to get 100 miles in shift quality, I run $4 oil and change 7 or 800 miles and not because of shift quality. but just to keep the motor mint. The difference between 800 mile oil and new is maybe 1% difference.

• Like 1

no I don't change at 100, but around 350  there is a noticeable difference in overall shifting quality. fyi the motor requires MA spec oil, what do you use, I am tired of paying 12 bucks for a quart?

They say the first guy to ever buy a KTM is still out there somewhere trying to find neutral on his.

As others have said, I find it's pretty much impossible to find it sitting still with boots on and the engine running. I've developed the habit of clicking into it while I'm still rolling, as it's much easier to find that way. If I don't find it before I stop, I just leave it in gear until I start moving again or kill the engine and find it. It's a bit of a PIA, but I love the bike enough to overlook it as it has no significant effect on my experience, aside from giving me more things to joke about.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shampoochie said:

no I don't change at 100, but around 350  there is a noticeable difference in overall shifting quality. fyi the motor requires MA spec oil, what do you use, I am tired of paying 12 bucks for a quart?

In the last 600 hours, Ive use Valvoline 20w50 DINO mc oil , certain times of the year, it can be found around $4, otherwise its above $5.

I did run amsoil one round in the early hours, and really didn't see a shifting difference. But I run a lot of miles, and oil expense is not a factor, now chassis parts , I burn through those. Its expensive to keep me in chassis parts.

I found on my '12 500 that if I go to 1st then just slip the clutch a tiny bit...then fully disengage the clutch I can find neutral every time by carefully lifting the shifter even with my moto boots. This on a bike with 260 hrs.  It used to frustrate me, but I've got it down now without a problem. Like others have said I never had  trouble going from 1st to 2nd on the fly...that's good thing. Practice...practice....