98 Yamaha xt350 blowing white smoke

Alright so I'm a brand new rider, and I got my first bike, a 1998 Yamaha xt350 about a month ago. I've had no issues with this bike, it has run well, but a few days ago, I kicked it into first and I noticed a bunch of white smoke pouring out of my exhaust. So I pulled over and it didn't stop, and I turned off the bike. After a few minutes I turned it back on and the smoke returned, I had to go to work so I just drive off, and the smoke stopped. Later when I rode home it was fine, there was no smoke. I started the bike the next day to check it out and smoke poured out again. I was busy so I didn't ride, and then the day after I started it several times, no smoke, then 30 minutes later when I started it again and rode it a bit it was as bad as ever. I know it's burning oil, but I'm not sure what to do or what to check. Please help I'm trying to learn how to do this stuff on my own but I don't know what to do, thank you

White 'smoke' on your bike (non-water cooled) is moisture. Most likely from water in the muffler from being washed or just humidity collection. Run it a little while, the smoke will stop. Cover the muffler end with a baggie next time you wash it.

• Like 1

Thank you I'll try it

Just now, William1 said:

White 'smoke' on your bike (non-water cooled) is moisture. Most likely from water in the muffler from being washed or just humidity collection. Run it a little while, the smoke will stop. Cover the muffler end with a baggie next time you wash it.

Ok so I let it run and it poured smoke off and on every couple of minutes, and eventually it started to putter out, and it has plenty of gas. Could it be water in the oil?

Is is really white smoke (steam) or is it faint blue (oily)?

Have you checked the oil level according to the manual? Too full and it will be expelled in to the combustion chamber (eventually clogging the spark plug and possibly carboning up the engine).

So I changed the oil and when it idled a bit of bluish smoke puttered out, but as soon as I revved it the white smoke came back