Going to look at a '02 KDX200 NOW... what problems to look for?

Sup guys!

Been on the DRZ400 side of the world for the last two years, but finally moving over to the 2-stroke side of the planet. 

Im packing up work now, and will be going to look a 2002 KDX200 from a guy just south of me. The DRZ has a laundry list of common issues to check out that i would know to check now that ive had the bike for a while.... wondering if the KDX200 was in the same boat.

Let me know if you guys have any good suggestions over what common fail points to check while im out there.

Thanks!!

-Rich

5 hours ago, SS109 said:

There is nothing special to look for on a KDX200. Just look for the usual wear and tear items.

Thx! Looked good so I pulled the trigger. Expect to see me around more often :)

On 8/17/2017 at 2:41 PM, vossman23 said:

Pics??????

Ahhh good point! Though shes still a diamond in the rough, ill get some 'before' photos posted this weekend. Expect it will take a month to do the top end, get new pipe installed, paint the frame, etc before the 'after' photos are ready :)

You guys running the powercore2 or turbinecore2? Thinking im going to throw the FMF Gnarly Woods on there, just need to pick out a can.

Oh! You should have asked us BEFORE buying this bike! These damn KDXs do the following:

- use tires about once every season

- use chains and sprockets about once every two seasons

- consume gas and oil to go down the trail!

- require air filter cleaning sometimes

- need their grips changed out when the old ones wear out!

- need washing when they get dirty!

- need transmission fluid changed every few months

- require bigger footpegs because the stock ones are itty bitty for size 13 boots

- require better handlebars because 7/8 steel handlebars don't fare well in crashes. get some hand guards too. 

- require that you lubricate the agricultural farm implement attached to the swingarm say every few months (kickstand)

- use brake pads every season or so

- and finally, leave you with the conundrum whether you want black or purple fork boots! Very difficult to choose. :prof: 

Damn Krappy KDXs!

• Like 1

Hahahha Shrub!! Love the post... sounds like I fallen into a cult following bike just like my DRZ 400.  Based on what you said, and others on this form, I think I will love the KDX. 

The bike was purchased as a project bike, I know it's going to require a lot of TLC to get it where I'll be happy with it both mechanically and visually.   That being said, I think I'm going to get it to where it's mechanically sound and get to riding at the end of the season finally do a full cosmetic restoration. 

Anyways.... pictures coming soon. Just got home from work, need to empty a few Budweiser's and I'll get into the garage

• Like 1