Anyone 49 plus still riding?

Ok guys - last question.  Thanks to your bad influence and one of my good friends I'm about to pull the trigger on a dirt bike and start riding again at RAC and AOAA.  I haven't ridden in 20 years but I'm looking for a new hobby and I hate golf.  Spent the last decade in fast cars at the race track but thats run its course.  Anyway - I'm about to pull the trigger on a CRF230F ( Nice and tame and reliable) but I have this nagging doubt that this could be either the best idea I've had in a while or the worst.  I'm 6' 200lbs and in good shape but I'm pushing 50.....

Anyone else make a return to the fun at this age - or am I gonna be the old guy ?  

Last chance to talk me out of this 

Thanks 

Jeff 

• Like 1

Hell yeah! I am almost 50 myself and having the time of my life. We have ridden with guys much older than us and they did great as well. :ride:

You're still a youngster bro,I turned 64 in June(hadn't been on a dirt bike in 40 years)and bought a CRF 450R several months back to play on.Have been mainly street only riding since 1970(still have a Hayabusa)but was starting to get really bored so thought I'd try a dirt bike,thing is a blast to ride(more fun than the Busa)and haven't managed to kill or maim myself yet so all is good.:thumbsup:

• Like 3

I ripped some medium level enduro with a 62 year old from Fall River the other day.  

He was faster than me!   im 39  but only started Ripping 6 mos ago.

• Like 1

55years old, still ride. Hey, you're a little on the big side for that 230, it's slow and softly suspended

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SLVR993 said:

Ok guys - last question.  Thanks to your bad influence and one of my good friends I'm about to pull the trigger on a dirt bike and start riding again at RAC and AOAA.  I haven't ridden in 20 years but I'm looking for a new hobby and I hate golf.  Spent the last decade in fast cars at the race track but thats run its course.  Anyway - I'm about to pull the trigger on a CRF230F ( Nice and tame and reliable) but I have this nagging doubt that this could be either the best idea I've had in a while or the worst.  I'm 6' 200lbs and in good shape but I'm pushing 50.....

Anyone else make a return to the fun at this age - or am I gonna be the old guy ?  

Last chance to talk me out of this 

Thanks 

Jeff 

Yo Jeff get off your ass and climb on to a dirt bike, I would go with a Yamaha, and ride you young pup you. At this moment I am getting my 65 y.o. self ready for at least 50 miles or more today. 

Ride and stay young, sit and grow old!

Michael

• Like 3

Do it. Get the CRF230F. I started on one four years ago. Nice bike to start on. But its "nice" means you will grow out of it.

I rode in the dirt in college, 40+ years ago. Then I move to street, and then road racing. Then I quit riding and didn't touch a bike for 30+ years. Got together with some fellow 60+ folks, and bought a used CRF230F. Rode it a year and a few months, and bought a used KTM 250XC-F. Rode that a couple of years and got a new KTM 300 XC-W.

The CRF230F is low and fairly light, and has modest power. It has "enough" for a starter bike. But as you ride more and get better, its not really the engine that is the issue, its the 230F's suspension. It was designed as an inexpensive starter trail bike. The suspension has limited travel and is unsophisticated.  The 250XC-F's suspension was worlds better, but the seat was also a lot higher.

Get the 230F, buy it from Bud at Matto Cycle and you can ride out his back lot and onto RAC land. Come ride with us (see the RAC meet-up thread) and folks will let you ride their KDX, KLX, KTM, Beta etc..... so in a year or two, you can know what you want

I'm 64 and my brother is 57.  Like Pat we have RAC permits.  There are plenty of us to ride with.  The CRF230F might be a little small for you. 

Bob K. 

2 hours ago, Rgksr said:

I'm 64 and my brother is 57.  Like Pat we have RAC permits.  There are plenty of us to ride with.  The CRF230F might be a little small for you. 

I'm 6-1 or 6-2, was 280 lbs when I started riding. Yeah, I was big for the CRF230F, but I think it was perfect as a starter bike. I'm down to 260 or so, all due to riding. IMHO, for a beginner, its critical to be able to put your feet on the ground. Maybe not both feet flat at the same time, but at least one flat and one on the balls of your feet. Now, you can lower a bike, Bob (@Rgksr) has had his lowered, but it can easily cost $500 or more. 

I'm 54, just got a dirt bike this summer, haven't ridden since I was a teenager! My son graduated from high school, so I told him I'd get him a really nice mountain bike, and he said how about a dirt bike instead. We have talked about, and I've thought about it for years.

Anyway, I looked at smaller bikes, but the orange kool-aid was strong, and I got a 400 EXC (RFS) with fresh engine. It is a bit tall, but I'm trying to learn on easier trails to start with. I've been bitten hard, may get a super light play bike, super moto, one is not enough. Probably what I'll do is put the big bore kit in this one and use it for dual sport and desert (after I put some hours on this engine), and get a 300 for single track.

• Like 2

Bought a lightly used `06 WR450 a little over a year ago.  Hadn't owned a bike in almost 30 years.  54 and glad I got it!  5' 7", 170lbs.  Other than my forearms getting tired, it does what I want to do.  Wish my inseam was a bit taller.  Lol!  Ride, man...ride.

• Like 1

I'm 51 and never stopped riding since I got my first dirt bike at 13. I've been riding street bikes since 2011 though because with my crazy work schedule, my dirt bike was collecting dust. If my hours get cut back some and I have a steady weekend day off, I would jump at the chance to get a dirt bike again and race a little MX. A friend of my started racing MX when he was 48 after retiring. He's 51 now and races with his 17 year old son every Sunday, even bought a class A motor home so he can go to the races in style. :thumbsup:

53 still ride and sometimes race JDay, Ice and short track. rather stacked classes by the way

13415527_1653345711657480_2148347513963822598_o.jpg

• Like 4

Wow - Thanks Guys!  Thats the nudge I needed.  Now All I have to do is decide on a bike, buy it along with a shit ton of gear, get my permits and viola.  Very hopeful I can ride with a few of you later this year!  

Best 

Jeff 

• Like 2