Anyone 49 plus still riding?

23 hours ago, DanZ3 said:

Like others rode many years ago and gave it up during family/career days. Getting back into it at 56. Looking forward to spring.

I'm always interested in the choice of bike by us "seasoned" riders.

I went through several dirt rides until I found the Freeride was the perfect fit for me.

DR250, XR400R (loved it-gave it to my son), EXC250, maybe one or two others.

• Like 1

Just getting back into riding I wanted a manageable bike to “learn” to ride again. I bought a gently used KLX300R that seemed to fit me well and will be a good bike for now. I can always change in the future based on need and riding style.

Ok Guys - I'm in.  Beta arrived today.  Safety Gear is here- just need my permit for RAC and I'm good to go.  Hope to meet up with a bunch of you soon.  

Thanks for the push!

Jeff 
IMG_3074.JPG.60f1c3de87e9fbb6f44cf1dd10fce3fc.JPG

So, how are things going, Jeff?

One little suggestion is to pick up some good training videos. There’s a lot to learn about riding a dirt bike, and Shane Watts videos will provide plenty of tips and practice drills. I applied lessons learned from Shane Watts, Gary Semics, and Gary Bailey videos. My riding/racing vastly improved and riding became much more fun. Taking lessons is also a great idea.

BTW. You'd also be the youngest in our group.

On 1/15/2018 at 7:52 AM, OTTOMATIK said:

We should get some  " Old Timer" rides together for the spring in each region.  Brushy Mt in NC would be good for SE

I would love to do that. We old crocks often ride a bit too mellow for the young and crazy guys

18 hours ago, laoch said:

I was out of bikes for 30+ years, got back in the dirt 5 seasons ago with a used Honda CRF230F specifically because it was (1) cheap (2) not tall and (3) would let me figure out of I liked riding in the dirt. Rode than two seasons, got a used KTM 250 XCF, rode that two seasons and picked up my new KTM 300 XCW 16 months ago.

The Honda was perfect for what I wanted, getting my toes wet, but its a beginner's bike. The used KTM is a nice bike, I still have it, let buddies ride it, and I loved the suspension. I was not happy with the power, its pretty gutless until you get the revs up and get the cams working. Not ideal for the tight technical stuff I ride. More importantly, back as a young man, I was totally into two strokes. Once I got confident enough to think I could ride one, I had to have a 300 two stroke. And I love it.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 6:39 AM, laoch said:

I went through several dirt rides until I found the Freeride was the perfect fit for me.

DR250, XR400R (loved it-gave it to my son), EXC250, maybe one or two others.

If budget isn't a concern, and you primarily ride in wooded, rooty, rocky trails at we have locally, you can't beat a KTM Freeride 250R.  Super light (206 lbs), essentially a hybrid between a trials bike and a true enduro bike, geared for tight technical riding with tons of low-end torque, linear power, and reasonably low seat height.  Mine is plated and street legal in PA with a Sicass dual sport kit (however, it's a horrible bike for the street with such low gearing that max speed is about 50 mph).  The beauty is that I'll never outgrow this bike's capabilities; it's just wicked in the technical stuff, and for a guy getting back into the sport after mountain biking for years, this was the right bike for me (I even installed an oxbrake left-hand rear brake to make it as close to a mountain bike with an engine as possible.  There's no way I would have progressed in such a short time on a big bike, as this thing just inspires confidence to tackle anything.

However, on the flipside, this ain't the bike for dual-sport, desert, high speed dirt roads, or MX (very squishy suspension in stock configuration, and somewhat unstable and unenjoyable at high speed). Plus, only 1.8 gal gas tank, so you have a fuel plan if you're going more than 40 miles or so).  

Edited by ninjabones
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, ninjabones said:

If budget isn't a concern, and you primarily ride in wooded, rooty, rocky trails at we have locally, you can't beat a KTM Freeride 250R.  Super light (206 lbs), essentially a hybrid between a trials bike and a true enduro bike, geared for tight technical riding with tons of low-end torque, linear power, and reasonably low seat height.  Mine is plated and street legal in PA with a Sicass dual sport kit (however, it's a horrible bike for the street with such low gearing that max speed is about 50 mph).  The beauty is that I'll never outgrow this bike's capabilities; it's just wicked in the technical stuff, and for a guy getting back into the sport after mountain biking for years, this was the right bike for me (I even installed an oxbrake left-hand rear brake to make it as close to a mountain bike with an engine as possible.  There's no way I would have progressed in such a short time on a big bike, as this thing just inspires confidence to tackle anything.

However, on the flipside, this ain't the bike for dual-sport, desert, high speed dirt roads, or MX (very squishy suspension in stock configuration, and somewhat unstable and unenjoyable at high speed). Plus, only 1.8 gal gas tank, so you have a fuel plan if you're going more than 40 miles or so).  

Nailed it.  I remember talking to you about your Ox brake at the Dirty Santa ride.

16 hours ago, pat22043 said:

I would love to do that. We old crocks often ride a bit too mellow for the young and crazy guys

I was out of bikes for 30+ years, got back in the dirt 5 seasons ago with a used Honda CRF230F specifically because it was (1) cheap (2) not tall and (3) would let me figure out of I liked riding in the dirt. Rode than two seasons, got a used KTM 250 XCF, rode that two seasons and picked up my new KTM 300 XCW 16 months ago.

The Honda was perfect for what I wanted, getting my toes wet, but its a beginner's bike. The used KTM is a nice bike, I still have it, let buddies ride it, and I loved the suspension. I was not happy with the power, its pretty gutless until you get the revs up and get the cams working. Not ideal for the tight technical stuff I ride. More importantly, back as a young man, I was totally into two strokes. Once I got confident enough to think I could ride one, I had to have a 300 two stroke. And I love it.

I actually had a 300 for a short time. My inseam is like 30" and I have a history of bad knees, I need to touch ground once in a while ?

Edited by laoch
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, laoch said:

My inseam is like 30" and I have a history of bad knees, I need to touch ground once in a while ?

My hero Graham Jarvis can not put both feet on the ground at once on his Husqv 300. I think he is too young for this thread at about 42. But he is very good at sliding to one side and getting leverage when he does "dab" the ground. Thanks to my ground hugging weight, I can touch on my 300 when I sit on it, but its very hard for me to get my hips and knees to work well enough to simply throw a leg over it. I usually have to find a rock or curb to help.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Getting back into the dirt after several years.  Picked up an old KDX200 that I put a lot of work into over the winter.  Looking for other older, slower riders to ride with.   I'm in north jersey, but will travel to PA or NY.  Thanks!

52 minutes ago, RandyNJ said:

Getting back into the dirt after several years.  Picked up an old KDX200 that I put a lot of work into over the winter.  Looking for other older, slower riders to ride with.   I'm in north jersey, but will travel to PA or NY.  Thanks!

The KDX200/220 is a great bike for getting back into the dirt. Join us at RAC/FRO, just check the "meet-up" thread here in this section. I aim to ride twice a week, usually one mid-week (being retired is great) and once on the weekend. I'm plenty old and slow.

Lots of boring videos of where we ride on my YouTube channel. Be warned, I ride with other old slow guys, not much action here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1xb74AQi4oMrlFwFqmqy0w 
Or just search for "Pat Farrell" on YouTube

Edited by pat22043
  • Like 1

A KDX is a great choice for the FRO trails and is very user friendly.  I have a 220 that I'm rebuilding after riding for a couple of years. It has never let me down and is a better bike than I am as a rider.

As Pat says, we might be old and slow, but we have fun. I try and ride just about every weekend, weather and family obligations permitting. Rarely do I get to ride during the week, still working.  I only live about 45 minutes from all of the FRO riding areas.  

I recently turned 56 and started riding again 6 or 7 years ago after about a 25 year break. My current bikes are a street legal WR 450 and a ‘17 300 XCW that my wife bought for me for our 37th wedding anniversary. I really like the WR but the KTM always puts a smile on my face!IMG_0686.JPG

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, gsev said:

I recently turned 56 and started riding again 6 or 7 years ago after about a 25 year break. My current bikes are a street legal WR 450 and a ‘17 300 XCW that my wife bought for me for our 37th wedding anniversary. I really like the WR but the KTM always puts a smile on my face!IMG_0686.JPG

52 minutes ago, RandyNJ said:

FRO?

As Matt said, Famous Reading Outdoors.
https://readingoutdoors.com/

Note, in PA, its pronounced "red-ing" not reed-ing. See Monopoly game, Reading Railroad was built to haul the coal from Reading and Pottsville PA to market

We also often refer to it as RAC, Reading Anthracite Company, which is the coal company that owns all the land that FRO lets us ride on.

6 minutes ago, RandyNJ said:

Thanks for the info   You'll be hearing from me soon
crf230F

I bought a CRF230F when I got back into dirt bikes. I had been out of bikes for 25+ years. The CRF230 was perfect to learn on. Enough power, but not too much, and since I got mine used, it was not a big expense. Plus they are low to the ground, which really helps confidence.

I think its a great choice.