Anyone 49 plus still riding?

8 hours ago, pat22043 said:

I bought a CRF230F when I got back into dirt bikes. I had been out of bikes for 25+ years. The CRF230 was perfect to learn on. Enough power, but not too much, and since I got mine used, it was not a big expense. Plus they are low to the ground, which really helps confidence.

I think its a great choice.

Actually the 230f was my last bike I sold years ago to get into Kart racing.  I hadn't ridden in a couple of years and I had always wanted to try Karting.  I've been working on and old KDX over the winter to get it ready for spring riding

I’m 47, just got back from a trip to St George, Utah where I got back on a dirt bike for the first time in 30 yrs. Back then it was a YZ100, this time a CRF230. Went out into the desert with a sweetheart of a 19 yo kid who waited for me every time I needed to stop to catch my breath. I was fine on the level areas but once we got into the whoops and up and down the dunes I was huffin and puffin. Dumped it 2x but neither the bike or myself were the worse for wear. Today I went out and got a hitch and a Black Widow Carrier. After a lot of research, My plan this weekend is to check out a Beta Xtrainer 300 and possibly pull the trigger.

I live in Queens, NY and this region is basically nowheresville when it comes to trail riding. All the places I rode as a 17 yo out on Eastern Long Island have all been developed and turned into Big Box stores and parking lots. So looks like I’m headed out to NJ and PA. AOAA looks great. Would love to find a group (or even 1 or 2) of beginners or begin-againners to connect with for weekend trail riding in easy mode at least initially. Please reply or DM me. I’m willing to drive ~3hrs or so.

Cheers, Adam

Great advice guys, I've taken most of it.  Went bike shopping today so I'm getting out there - very excited.  But on the less fiscally responsible side I bought a Beta Xtrainer.  I won't get it for two weeks or so but that's enough time to buy all my gear and get some permits. The CRF and almost anything used made much more sense - but I wanted a Beta.  And since this whole hobby  makes no sense I didn't see the point in being sensible on the purchase.  I'm sure I'll see the flaw when the bill comes.  

Stay tuned lots of gear questions coming up I'm sure - very hopeful to meet a few you guys in the coming months!  

Jeff 

Nice! That’s the one I’m checking out this weekend!

Check out the RAC meetup thread.  It’s close to AOAA, but has more trails.  I’ll be riding next week hopefully on my KTM or/and the Beta.  I’ll be going slow for a while due to some surgery.

Rgksr

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rgksr said:

Check out the RAC meetup thread.  It’s close to AOAA, but has more trails.  I’ll be riding next week hopefully on my KTM or/and the Beta.  

Yo Bob, we missed you today. Connected with your brother Chris the Younger Ancient Greek Brother, who is clearly old enough to be in this thread. And Wild Bill, I am not sure exactly how old he is, I think he can be in this thread or as an honorary "friend of the old coot" member

I put 19.4 miles on the odometer of my 300, your baby brother dropped the bike on a climbing rock garden, hope I got the video. He is all right, of course.

• Like 1

My dad was active with bikes until about 65. I think 50 is about prime. Actually, now that I think about it, The hardest, fastest guy I ever watched in real life on a track was about 50. He jumped over me at 1 point and that was it for me, I got the hell off the track and out of his way.

Edited by repp
  • Like 1

Yup...I'm 55 haven't ridden dirt bikes in 25 years...rode street bikes.  I too still drag race but needed a cheaper hobby LOL.  Bought a KTM XC-W 2 stroke...other old guys told me to buy a 4 stroke...more tame...I said no way...going old school just like my Elsinore was back in the day.  Ride on brother!

• Like 2

Riding this weekend. bringing XR650R & CF250X @BrushyMtnMotorSportsPark

DON'T FORGET THIS WEEKEND APRIL 28 & 29 SAT. & SUNDAY IS THE BRUSHY MOUNTAIN/YAMAHA  SPRING BREAK RIDE. THIS WILL BE A 2 DAY EVENT AND THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THE DEMO. RIDE...THERE WILL BE NO FEE UNLESS YOU ALSO BRING YOUR PERSONAL BIKE ALONG TO RIDE THIS WEEKEND. THE PARK WILL BE OPEN TO EVERYONE FRIDAY THROUGH SUNDAY. 

THIS YEARS EVENT WILL ALSO HAVE YOUNG CHILDREN'S BIKES AND OLDER CHILDREN'S BIKES AVAILABLE TO DEMO. RIDE...

JUST DON'T FORGET THE MINOR'S PAPERWORK. IF YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN TO BRUSHY BEFORE PLEASE GO TO OUR WEBSITE OR FACEBOOK PAGE TO LEARN WHAT INFORMATION IS REQUIRED BEFORE ANYONE UNDER THE AGE OF 18 WILL BE ALLOWED TO RIDE...

WWW.BMMSPARK.CO

Heading out to Lost Trails in Dunford PA this weekend. Going to try my hand on the beginner trails as I’m just getting going with my new Beta Xtrainer. If anyone is goin to be out that way and doesn’t mind ridin with a novice, I’m your guy.