Anyone 49 plus still riding?

I ride occasionally with JN Roberts and he is still extremely fit and sharp an turning 75 this year. Once that helmet is on though you would think he's 25... Same with Malcolm Smith although Parkinson's and some lower back issues have caught up to him but last time I rode with him when he was 72/73 you would think he was in his early 20's. So smooth on the single track and out running many seasoned Vet's. So never too old to ride, fitness and mental capacity will tell you when to hang it up or not start...  Can't hide natural talent. 

This straight from Destry Abbott's garage and all so true...

35B204A4-.jpg

Edited by Diamond-Dave
  • Like 3

55 and just started riding again after a 16 year break. Still had my old rm250 and it was fun getting it running again. Just completed my third hare scramble this weekend, I'm slow but don't care.  I've actually met and visited with other riders my age while the race was still going. This might sound a little crazy but I like the idea I can crash (low speed) and still get back up on and go, just not as fast as when I was younger. Try to ride/practice before going racing. A pro hill is scary when it's the first hill you climb in 16 years. lol

• Like 2

Ok guys - There new BETA is in and getting prepped.  All my gear has arrived ( I bought everything available) just tried it all on.  Feels pretty IronMan-ish but it all fits.  Bike should make it to me before the weekend.  This is gonna get fun !

Thanks for al the support and advice

Jeff 

• Like 2

I'm only 42, but ride with a few guys that are 50+ and they ride A master class. They are really fast! Don't get a 230, you'll out grow it in a couple rides. A 250/300 2T with the green spring or even a 350 4T will keep you happy forever. 

• Like 1

Pat22043 - I just signed up for Thumper Talk after a friend saw your post.  I want to thank you again for the help earlier this month.  And thanks again for making me younger than I am. I am actually 70 but still the younger guy.

Thanks  RAY 

• Like 3

Hey Jeff, I'm the 81 year old guy that you & your buddy pulled our bacon out of the fire. Thanks once again. I ride up inthat area every week, weather permitting, we only pick the good days. The two guys that I usually ride with do not make it every week. Always looking  to hook up with guys. I have gotton into a habit as I live real close to Towson, Md. So timing for me is priority 1. Usually get to Berma Rd. At about 7:30 to 8:00. That lets me get close to 4 hr. Ride in. As the trip home is 21/2 to 3 hrs. Being retired gives me the option to ride week days. This has gotten boring enough. Would like to catch a ride with you guys & buy the way, my pants do not slide down any more(inside joke). Be safe.  PK

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rwindisch said:

I want to thank you again for the help earlier this month.  And thanks again for making me younger than I am. I am actually 70 but still the younger guy.

You are welcome. Glad we could help. So I got your age wrong, sorry. Still, compared to @pek you and I are youngsters.

1 hour ago, pek said:

I have gotton into a habit as I live real close to Towson, Md. So timing for me is priority 1. Usually get to Berma Rd. At about 7:30 to 8:00. That lets me get close to 4 hr. Ride in. 

I'd look to ride with you guys. I try to ride at least twice a week. But getting to Burma Rd at 7:30 is impossible for me. I'm not an early bird, and its about two hours driving from the Philly suburbs. I can make 9:00 if I make special plans and get up at oh-dark-30. Most of the time i get there about 10:00. 

If you are willing to make a loop that swings up to the parking lot about 10, then I could join you guys for the second half of your day.

16 hours ago, pat22043 said:

I'd look to ride with you guys. I try to ride at least twice a week. But getting to Burma Rd at 7:30 is impossible for me. I'm not an early bird, and its about two hours driving from the Philly suburbs. I can make 9:00 if I make special plans and get up at oh-dark-30. Most of the time i get there about 10:00. 

If you are willing to make a loop that swings up to the parking lot about 10, then I could join you guys for the second half of your day.

Hey Pat:  I am not quite over 49 but I live down your way (Delaware County.)  I heard that you are a good guy to ride with.  I'd like to meet you and ride sometime.  

53 minutes ago, Father Emmett said:

Hey Pat:  I am not quite over 49 but I live down your way (Delaware County.)  I heard that you are a good guy to ride with.  I'd like to meet you and ride sometime.  

Cool, I'm in Chester. I follow the RAC meet-up thread and ride about twice a week.

Send me a PM/Message with contact info.

On 8/28/2017 at 4:32 PM, pek said:

Hey Jeff, I'm the 81 year old guy that you & your buddy pulled our bacon out of the fire. Thanks once again. I ride up inthat area every week, weather permitting, we only pick the good days. The two guys that I usually ride with do not make it every week. Always looking  to hook up with guys. I have gotton into a habit as I live real close to Towson, Md. So timing for me is priority 1. Usually get to Berma Rd. At about 7:30 to 8:00. That lets me get close to 4 hr. Ride in. As the trip home is 21/2 to 3 hrs. Being retired gives me the option to ride week days. This has gotten boring enough. Would like to catch a ride with you guys & buy the way, my pants do not slide down any more(inside joke). Be safe.  PK

Pek,

I think you stopped by one day when we were have lunch on Burma Rd.  You had the 200xc-w with the Lingle Suspension?

We will be riding on Sunday, parked on Burma Rd, blue Yukon and blk/ silver trailer.

Bob K.

5 hours ago, Rgksr said:

Pek,

I think you stopped by one day when we were have lunch on Burma Rd.  You had the 200xc-w with the Lingle Suspension?

We will be riding on Sunday, parked on Burma Rd, blue Yukon and blk/ silver trailer.

Bob K.

Yea, I remember that day. I'm locked into Family stuff this weekend, so the only day open to me this week is Friday, but with any luck we'll somehow hook up soon.   PK

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 6:06 PM, pat22043 said:

Hello,

I'm a 'young' 54yr old currently in Southern MD.  Picked up a gently used '06 WR450 and getting used to riding after a l-o-n-g hiatus (Grew up riding the desert area around Ridgecrest CA).  I have only been to the Wicomico Motor Sports Park and am on the hunt for other areas to ride.  May I ask where is this 'Burma Rd' you speak of?

2 hours ago, Dako said:

I'm a 'young' 54yr old currently in Southern MD.  (Grew up riding the desert area around Ridgecrest CA).  I have only been to the Wicomico Motor Sports Park and am on the hunt for other areas to ride.  May I ask where is this 'Burma Rd' you speak of?

Cool, my sister lives in Lone Pine and does some shopping in Ridgecrest.

Burma Rd is a street in St Clair, PA on Reading Anthracite Company land. Sadly, its a long way from Southern MD. But its a great place to ride. Google for Pottsville PA, St Clair is just a few miles north of it.  They sell yearly permits for $125 and then you can ride 10s of thousands of acres of land. Just today I rode 21.3 miles of trails, most of which I have never been on. Permit info is at: http://readinganthracite.com/access-permits/

If you decide to come up here, let me know and I'll meet up and show you some trails.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pat22043 said:

Cool, my sister lives in Lone Pine and does some shopping in Ridgecrest.

Burma Rd is a street in St Clair, PA on Reading Anthracite Company land. Sadly, its a long way from Southern MD. But its a great place to ride. Google for Pottsville PA, St Clair is just a few miles north of it.  They sell yearly permits for $125 and then you can ride 10s of thousands of acres of land. Just today I rode 21.3 miles of trails, most of which I have never been on. Permit info is at: http://readinganthracite.com/access-permits/

If you decide to come up here, let me know and I'll meet up and show  you some trails.

Lol!  Small world.  I fished all the small creeks up around Lone Pine & Olancha.  I will read up on the permit info.  Thanks!