Honda XR50 Too Easy to Start?

I picked up a 2003 Honda XR50 that would barely run on a full choke.  I thoroughly cleaned the carb, I've got the fuel/air screw backed out 3/4 turn, and the bike will start cold on the first kick - but without any choke.  I'm not complaining, but wondering what I've got wrong.  If I use any choke, I think carb is flooding bike and it will not start.  I think the clip is set in the middle position on the needle jet. Why is there no need for choke when the motor is cold?

Edited by guyver60

My old xr is kinda like that. I have to give it full choke to get it started but as soon as it fires I turn off the choke right away or else it dies on me and will not start for a few hours unless I pull the plug. It's just rich enough to do that but it doesn't affect ridability, runs great when warm. Just an air cooled thing I think.

Did u remove the choke and clean the passageway? A choke restricts airflow resulting in a rich mixture that often is needed during cold starting. If the passageway is clogged then the cholesterol would effectively always be "on". Other than that all there is to do is count ur blessings that it starts so easily! 🙄🙄

Sent from my SM-G930P using ThumperTalk mobile app

Delaware, I bet that is it. I did not remove the choke.  As much as I am tempted and curious to take the carb apart (again), I think I will leave well enough alone for now.  It's hard to complain about a "first kick" start. Thanks for info.  

I put in a new plug and it was gapped it at .65mm - in the middle of the recommended range, but the plug is fouling. I took the carb off and blew it out again with carb cleaner.  I thought I cleaned the choke passage, but now not sure I did that I cleaned the right thing, as I didn't remove the choke. After I put the carb back in, the exhaust started blowing white exhaust with smell of unburnt fuel.  Before this, I had a very slight blue/black exhaust that would disappear after the engine warmed up.  What the heck did I do?  Air leak?  I've got air/fuel screw at about 1.5 turns out.

Run it awhile n see if it clears itself out. Those bikes are virtually indestructible so the likelihood of something serious being wrong is very low. If it's been running with a clogged choke passageway then give it time to clear out since it has effectively been running rich for some time..

Sent from my SM-G930P using ThumperTalk mobile app