DRZ400SM U.S model and EURO model CDI compatibility

Hello TT!

It's been awhile that i posted here and i'm glad that didn't forget my password! Lol

Anyway, i recently purchased a 2006 DRZ400SM U.S. model with 36,000 miles on the clock. Sadly, it came with a bad CDI and a burned stator. ūüė≠

So i ordered a new stator and regulator and CDI from Australia since my brother lives there and sends stuff over regularly(i am based in the Philippines btw)

No problem with the stator and regulator but the 2 used CDIs i bought do not match with the bike and the part number. Asked the seller in AUS and he guaranteed that they were working fine from the donnor bike. Turns out the CDI i bought came from a EU model!

Any ideas how to make the EU CDI work with a US model? I can't return the CDI to the seller due to logistics.

1 hour ago, S.O.A.N.Z said:

Why dont you sell the 2 used ones and get the right one ?

I wish i could send it back or sell it but i doubt i can find anyone interested locally. The DRZ400 is considered an import model where i am and the local suzuki dealers do not have parts available. :(

the dealer can't get you parts? WTF?! isn't that what they are there for?

Finally got the 2 EU DRZ400E CDIs to work on my SM. With the help of a mechanic/electrican friend we were able to figure it out. Had to move the orange wire to a diferrent slot and now all 3 CDIs are working including the stock! 

The 2 EU CDI boxes have a different power delivery compared to the stock unit. Less low end grunt but more midrange pull. 

Tested the bike the other day and it runs better but not stock perfect. Could be a carb problem? At around 4000-6000 rpm it bogs and won't rev beyond that and my top speed is limited to 75mph while being smooth with the throttle(this is with any of the 3 CDIs). Opening the throttle full makes it bog down and sputter as if it was on choke. Checked the choke and its off. Brand new fuel cock assembly, Brand new spark plug as recommended by the manual, Currently using stock jetting with the stock 36mm carb, stock exhaust and K&N air filter.

Could this be a jetting related issue? Im basically at sea level and the weather here is tropical if that matters.

Edited by themanoy