Repairing the radiator

Hello guys and gals ,

So i just fissured my left radiator , and asked a few handle of people ,  50% of them told me to go to  a welder , 50% of them told me to buy some kind of "aluminium sand" and fill the radiator and it would fill up the hole .

Close to me there are only general-type welders  .

Further away there are professional automotive welders too .

I guess the answer is pretty simple .. the professional automotive welders , but they are much further away. While the "home" welders may do it in the same day .

What experience do you have with general-type welders , are they good ? or should I pay more , wait more , but be sure of what I get  ? 

Mehor salutis

Edited by endurocross

I've used jb weld to patch a hole in the rad from my rzr as a temporary repair. I just cleaned up the mess around the hole cleared the fins then jb away. This was on a hole punched from a bumper bolt.

It worked great. No issues. Still didn't install the replacement yet a year later.

Had the same issue after a nasty wreck, took it to a radiator shop for the repair. $75 to patch the hole and straighten it, still looked like crap after it was fixed but you can only bend them so far without doing more damage. Ended up spending $80 on a new set anyways. Highly recommend replacing them, radiators are cheaper than a new engine. I wouldn't even risk having them repaired honestly. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, endurocross said:

Hello guys and gals ,

So i just fissured my left radiator , and asked a few handle of people ,  50% of them told me to go to  a welder , 50% of them told me to buy some kind of "aluminium sand" and fill the radiator and it would fill up the hole .

Close to me there are only general-type welders  .

Further away there are professional automotive welders too .

I guess the answer is pretty simple .. the professional automotive welders , but they are much further away. While the "home" welders may do it in the same day .

What experience do you have with general-type welders , are they good ? or should I pay more , wait more , but be sure of what I get  ? 

Mehor salutis

What is the make/model/year of the bike and post a picture if you can.

I destroyed  a rad on my 250R not running rad guards/braces and bought a pair of GPI oversized rads for like $80 and IMO are very well made and worth the $$$. The $$$ I saved, I bought guards/braces.

Otherwise if you know it would be fixed correctly the first time, pay more and wait.

I 2nd what William said above-NEVER put anything into the coolant in an attempt to fill the hole. It *might* work, or it might plug up cooling passages in the motor and fry the engine. It's not worth the gamble.

I've used a product similar to JB weld that was a 2 part epoxy. I got it at Auto Zone. The label said it was "gas tank repair". I wrecked and bent a radiator and while trying to straighten it out I hit one of the nipples on the bench hard enough that it began to pull out of the radiator. I used the 2 part epoxy just so I could ride that weekend. I ordered new radiators, but still have them in the box as I never installed them. The leak is still holding today. That was several years ago. You can't see it unless you are looking for it and honestly I think that radiator is stronger now than before the repair.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CDNSXV said:

MYLERS RADIATORS.

I second that!
I've had 2 different sets done by them awhile back and they both came back looking new!

They can't fix a seriously smashed up one, but if you've got a small puncture or pinch weld failure from a mild crash, they should be able to do it no problem!

Comparable to buying new cost wise, but you know you're getting the exact same radiator back.
VS a sketchy Chinese made one that may or may not fit correctly.

https://mylers-radiators.myshopify.com

20 minutes ago, Michael Cahill said:

I second that!
I've had 2 different sets done by them awhile back and they both came back looking new!

They can't fix a seriously smashed up one, but if you've got a small puncture or pinch weld failure from a mild crash, they should be able to do it no problem!

Comparable to buying new cost wise, but you know you're getting the exact same radiator back.
VS a sketchy Chinese made one that may or may not fit correctly.

https://mylers-radiators.myshopify.com

I can verify I had trouble with 1 set of GPI radiators from a USA seller on ebay. The left side came with the mounting plate welded to the radiator upside down, so the mounting holes were 3" too low.  It took tons of emails and pictures to get them to send one that was right. Well, it came from china and I got charged a $22 duty fee a month afterwards by DHL..(That should be illegal dealing with a CA company on ebay to get a late hidden duty charge). So I had to fight the seller to reimburse the duty. He finally sent it paypal, but charged the paypal fee to me. So the fight over the $2 paypal fee ensued. Nightmare!!  Would I do it again for an $82 set of radiators? No!  ...but the radiators are good and still in use.