Who's doing what for the mudflap grooving the swingarm?

Wrenching on the bike (250RR) lastnight and I noticed this.

20170815_215757.jpg

It's like that on both sides. A quick Google shows it's very common. Mine is 2-3mm deep (which is pretty deep IMO) and with my bike only having 10 hours on it, I can't imagine how bad it would be at 100 hours.

I'm going to put some epoxy over those areas (after touching up the black paint because I'm OCD), but maybe some guys have a much simpler fix.

I saw one post of heating and forming it. But I figure if it's covered in mud, it'll still lay it up against the swingarm. Some say to trim it, but I'd think that would just move the problem inboard

I also saw where one guy claims they fixed it on the 2017's. How so? If a 2017 mudflap fixes the issue, I'll be ordering one of those up (unless they changed the Airbox too). My wife has a 2017 Xtrainer, and there's no sign of this at all. It looks like her Airbox places the mudflap further back though.

Zip tie around the forward section of the swing arm will fix it. It keeps the mud flap off of the swingarm and wears on the zip tie instead.

IMG_1479.JPG

Edited by desertrat28
  • Like 1

Fix1: zip tie

Fix2: 2017 m/flap but not on the first July bunch. New one has 2 pads where it comes in touch with the s/arm. Have not really checked that it works. My '17 was a July bike with the old flap.

Zip tie around the forward section of the swing arm will fix it. It keeps the mud flap off of the swingarm and wears on the zip tie instead.

I saw that post in my search yesterday, and was wondering what it meant. The pic helps explain that. I think I'd prefer the epoxy to the zip tie. It'll look a bit cleaner.

I just used scissors and cut it shorter, all good.

Except the rubbing isn't from just the bottom corner. I was going to trim the corners that rest in the (now) grooves, but I noticed it's rubbing all the way to the top as the shock compresses. The rub marks on the mudflap are about 3-4" long.
  • Like 1

When thinking about it, how many decades might it take for the friction from the plastic/mud, to wear in a hole/groove, of any sort of consequence, in the swingarm?  

54 minutes ago, Ben500RR-S said:

When thinking about it, how many decades might it take for the friction from the plastic/mud, to wear in a hole/groove, of any sort of consequence, in the swingarm?  

So, do you think that the photos in past posts are from 1960s Betas?

1 hour ago, Goatse said:

I saw that post in my search yesterday, and was wondering what it meant. The pic helps explain that. I think I'd prefer the epoxy to the zip tie. It'll look a bit cleaner.

Except the rubbing isn't from just the bottom corner. I was going to trim the corners that rest in the (now) grooves, but I noticed it's rubbing all the way to the top as the shock compresses. The rub marks on the mudflap are about 3-4" long.

Just cut all the way across the bottom, about 1/2" if I remember right, not the corners. Done. Next?

1 hour ago, Ben500RR-S said:

I did mine before the wear got started, because I hated the clicking noise of the flap catching on the seam of the swingarm every time I mounted the bike or it went up and down. There is plenty of evidence of extreme wear caused by it. Who cares if a little mud gets on your swingarm, as long as it's not throwing it all over the bottom shock mount?

13 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

Just cut all the way across the bottom, about 1/2" if I remember right, not the corners. Done. Next?

It's rubbing the full length of the flap. So cutting the bottom off will likely not fix my issue. Your post below states you never saw any wear. How early did you trim yours? Mine is showing pretty serious wear at only 10 hours. So maybe your issue wasn't present in the first place?

11 minutes ago, Johnny Depp said:

I did mine before the wear got started

1 hour ago, Ben500RR-S said:

Mine is 2-3m deep after 10 hours. So I imagine it wouldn't take that long for it to be serious.

Y'all are a mess with what is REALLY going on with with what is widely, and incorrectly being perceived as some sort of design flaw for these contemporary Beta machines.  

Many of you don't know that it is an intentional part of Beta's "Rideability" promotion for which the advertising has not come out just yet.  It is known internally at Beta as,  "Lightweighting", as time goes by.  It is part of Beta's plan to shave precious ounces, and eventually some pounds, by strategically, and methodically, having the mudflap wear away an inconsequential part of the swingarm.  A section of the swingarm that has been designed to be worn away by the mudflap.  The future effects of the lightweighting will be both fully known and appreciated by the rider as he or she ages since, as most individuals' riding ability decreases as one ages, those who ride Beta's will have their abilities increase due to the lighter weight that the motor needs to manage as well as the decrease in weight that the rider themselves will no longer need to manage as a result of the disappearance of alloy.  

You have been informed.  

Edited by Ben500RR-S
  • Like 3

Well I did some checking and it looks like Beta did change the mudflap for 2017... They did not change the airbox though. So the 2017 mudflap should mount up to the prior airbox.

The part numbers for both are:

2016 Mudflap - 25.24416.159 (Beta calls it a splash guard)

2017 Mudflap - 026.38.007.10.59 (Beta now calls it Rear Damper Protection)

Edited by Goatse

50 hours into riding my 14 RR300 and noticed bad wear, so I have a big zip tie around the centre of the swing arm, and two rubber wear circles glued onto the outer part of the swing arm. No more wear.

And I would say that a groove 3mm into the swing arm is indeed bad wear! They are made quite thin to keep oscillating weight to a minimum

• Like 2

I went out and checked my 2017 RR-S just now, no wear, not even a mark, on any of the part of the swingarm where the splash guard makes contact with it. 

The splash guard feels very flexible so that might have something to do with it being less abrasive.  In addition, there are two raised ridges molded into the part of the splash guard and it is these two ridges, which are closer to the center of the swingarm, that must contact the swingarm.  

I have no idea what a pre-2017 splash guard is like but that is what my 2017 is like.  I can only imagine that when underway, the wind and motion combine to sort of keep the guard away from the swingarm but what the heck do I know?