The 10 national monuments Trump is most likely to shrink

On 8/16/2017 at 8:52 AM, cjjeepercreeper said:

http://www.daily-times.com/story/news/environment/2017/08/16/10-national-monuments-trump-most-likely-shrink/567086001/

Includes of course Bears Ears, Grand Staircase and other bloated monument designations.

I encourage everyone to pick up a copy of the September/October Motorcyclist Magazine. 

In it, Scot Harden (a long time off road motorsports racer - http://harden-offroad.com/about-harden.htm) writes in an editorial that says it is time to do away with the Antiquites Act - the legislation that is regularly being misused by Washington politicos to make vast parts of the western US off limits to all but a few environmental elites. 

Read it and make your approval or disapproval known with a letter to the editors. Also -- If you agree with Harden's premise -- write your Congressional Reps.

1 hour ago, mrgem said:

I encourage everyone to pick up a copy of the September/October Motorcyclist Magazine. 

In it, Scot Harden (a long time off road motorsports racer - http://harden-offroad.com/about-harden.htm) writes in an editorial that says it is time to do away with the Antiquites Act - the legislation that is regularly being misused by Washington politicos to make vast parts of the western US off limits to all but a few environmental elites. 

Read it and make your approval or disapproval known with a letter to the editors. Also -- If you agree with Harden's premise -- write your Congressional Reps.

My senators and rep are all democrats. :thumbsdn:

• Like 1

On 9/2/2017 at 11:01 AM, cjjeepercreeper said:

My senators and rep are all democrats. :thumbsdn:

I hear you. I live in a state that was solidly conservative back in the 1970s when I moved here. As folks from both coasts have moved here, they've brought their coastal political bent with them. As a result, the state has gotten bluer and bluer over the last 30 years. To make things worse, I live in a county whose political culture is dominated by our University -- which is to say, values more like New York City than the Rockies. 

My Congressman is a nice guy, but too often obsessed with social issues rather than making government work. Just the same, I regularly rattle his cage and remind him that there are hillbillies living here amongst the PHDs and that our votes count, too.  

Our elected officials (in Utah) are already pushing for changes to be made to the act. Senator Hatch played a major role in jumpstarting the monument review process. The Antiquities Act has been abused for too long and it definitely needs to be changed or done away with.
We as dirt bike riders only stand to lose more riding areas as long as the act stands in its current form. For the life of me I can't understand how there are people involved in our sport that vote (blue) for its demise! Those of us who are local to these areas of monumental overreach (pun intended) stand to lose far more than our favorite hobby.

• Like 2