Jump to content

Clake 2 installation misery

Recommended Posts

Has anyone here installed a Clake 2 on a Yamaha?  This is the version that has two levers for an easy pull clutch and right hand rear brake (LHRB) on the left side of the handlebar.  The clutch system is hydraulic and requires a Magura cable to hydraulic conversion kit for bikes such as YZFs and WRs.

I service the brakes on my bikes and the hydraulic clutch on my daughter's KTM and even rebuilt the slave unit on the KTM once so I'm used to working with hydraulic systems on dirt bikes.  I can't however seem to get the Clake system to work even after several attempts.  I contacted Clake but while the owner seems quite nice, it's basically a one- or two-man operation so between production and new product development, there isn't much time for product support.  I've watched the Clake installation and Magura HYMEC videos several times and I think that, for at least the last time, I followed the steps exactly for preparing the Clake and filling/bleeding the system.

On my first attempt, I tried to fill the system by reverse flushing it because that is what I usually do and because that is how it is done in the Magura videos.  In hindsight, I should have stuck just to the Clake videos.  (Unfortunately, there is no printed documentation.)  I think that the Magura slave was in an extended position but I'm not completely sure that it was in the fully extended position.  The hand lever could move the slave a bit after that but the hand lever would not return on its own to the resting position.  On my latest attempt, i removed the slave unit and thoroughly cleaned and dried it before reassembling it.  I then elevated the hose above the master cylinder and attempted a forward bleed of the system to ensure that it was completely full of fluid and no air.  BTW, it seemed much more difficult than expected to get the fluid all the way to the far end of the raised hose using the lever as shown in the Clake video.  I had also checked all hose and banjo bolt fittings to make sure there were no air/fluid leaks.  I made sure the rod was completely extended from the slave, refilled it with fluid, and reattached the hose.  I then bled air from the slave end and then the maser end as shown in the video.

Currently, the clutch lever will move in and out but it doesn't move the slave rod at all.  I checked and the rod is still in the extended position and the slave end cap is not sealed against air movement.  The clutch lever snaps toward the bar very easily and stays there.  When pulled back, it snaps further out than the normal resting position and stays there.  I'm not sure if I somehow damaged the master cylinder (or if it arrived damaged) or if there's something temporary that's stopping the master from forcing fluid to the slave or if there's some other completely different problem.

I'm at my wits end about how to get this working.  Does anyone here have any experience with a Clake installation or any suggestions?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vintage Not Pimpage said:

Ask on dirtbikeworld.net. there are a few people running the clake there.

Thanks VNP, I'll try that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found part of the problem.  The pin that the lever pushes into the master cylinder had come out and was sitting sideways and not getting pushed into the MC.  Things are a little better now but not completely fixed.  The lever moves normally now but after the first actuation, the slave rod stays in and doesn't extend back out.  I'll try something else tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×