Which front fender for cr85/150r forks?

6 hours ago, Baja Rambler said:

Which front fenders give the best clearance with these usd forks?  I kinda like the KTM style but I want a white one for highway visibility.  

Also, does anyone keep the key ignition switch?

I used the fender recommended by Ramz. It rubs a bit with the big GoldenTyre. Pix here http://bit.ly/2wcaOUa

Kept my switch, here is how I mounted it https://docs.google.com/document/d/158m-g5E39suXiivZ9NYgssPeO_Pj2RBwMXxLVcBVM-o/pub#h.q7l1v3789zis

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Chuck. said:

I'm using a white  Honda XR fender, it has a short tail so air can get to the engine.

I don't find the long tail CRF250/450 fenders having any effect on cooling, quite the opposite, they prevent mud from collecting on the front of the head and cylinder which can definitely raise temps.

Don't y'all have mud out yonder west in Washington?  How do you go about keeping it off of your engine?

Lots of mud and water so in the winter my engine is water cooled. ?
We recently ended 55 days of no rain so it has been very dusty. Good news is during the last 3 days there has been almost 1/2" so the dust should be down, and traction up,  for tomorrow's ride in the mountains.

My observations are from using a Vapor with  water cooled  and a air cooled fenders.
The most noticeable was on a long slow climb of 3000ft in 2.8miles in the mountains on a hot day where the cylinder head temp went to 420F. With the higher CR of my XR218 I can get some light engine ping exiting corners when the head temp gets up over 340F.

One way to reduce mud on the fins is to install a small deflector to stop the mud that is flung off the tread of the rotating front wheel, only needs to be maybe 4" wide with a radius on  the front edge for tire clearance when the suspension compresses. I mounted one on the front engine mount when I raced and it noticeably reduced the amount of mud that accumulated on the engine fins.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, chadzu said:

I run a 21" wheel without problem.  Its the same fender thats on the freeride, and thats 21"

The UFO 85 fenders on eBay are only $25 buckaroos.  Did you have any mounting issues?  Grind the mounts on bottom of triple?

39 minutes ago, Baja Rambler said:

The UFO 85 fenders on eBay are only $25 buckaroos.  Did you have any mounting issues?  Grind the mounts on bottom of triple?

I have the ktm forks, so it bolts in easy for me.  You will likely need to drill some new mount holes in the fender for the honda clamp.  I found that this fender doesn't extend down in the back as far as others.  It actually gives good cooling clearance without mods.  The ktm fender has a flat mounting surface so that maximizes clearance.  I think mine is a polisport, but I'm sure the UFO is similar.

I'm just gonna leave this right here for those of you worried about the front fender blocking too much air.

CIMG1298.JPG

From what I've read about cooling fin design, spacing, thickness, etc., our engines don't really need a high volume of direct air flow to cool properly like an air plane engine or VW Bug.

Edited by MetricMuscle
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Baja Rambler said:

Someone mentioned late model crf450R fender.  Has anyone tried this on the cr85 forks?

Pinche Baja hooter I told you Crf450 R or x   you need some trimming . Works good if you get into Mud. As stock Cr85 fender put the mud right at google level. Don't forget the 3in water drain pipe in back of forks to protect seals. By the time you get your bike going mine will need rebuild.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, bajatrailrider said:

Baja Hooter what does this post have to do with 230 front fender. Have we had too many Coronas today. When you come to ride with me Bring the Coronas from the states to Mexico we ran out.

Good trick for Mexico.  

I don't drink Coronas unless that's all they have.  Tecate more better and they sponsor the races, plus Tecate girls.