pricing advice help needed

Hi everyone, 

I have a 2016 Xtrainer that I bought new last year.  I rode it for 11.8 hours (210 miles) and enjoyed it.  This year we had another child and I put exactly 0.0 miles on it this year...  I am thinking of selling it, and was wondering what a reasonable price would be on it.  It's in great shape, never crashed hard ( just a couple tip overs in the sand!!),  and it has had some decent upgrades.  I put the FMF spark arrestor silencer on it, the Seat Concepts seat, Zeta hand guards with BRP mounts that attach to the handlebar clamps.  It has never been ridden hard at all.

The motorcycle has no scratches, dings or any real imperfections.  If it matters, I am in the upper midwest in case pricing changes across the country. I was hoping for $5500, is that realistic?  I do't need to sell it, so I wouldn't want to give it away, but I don't want to be out in left field on pricing either.  Thanks for any advice!!  

Edited by Homegrown

7 hours ago, redwheeliemonster said:

If you don't need the money then  don't sell it. You probably won't ever get another bike. 

This.

Before you know it you'll be buying the kid a dirtbike to ride around on with you. Selling now will only cost more money in the long run! ?

• Like 1

It is tough, the situation you are in with kid(s).  I was there starting in 2009.  

If you care to read my story, here it goes:

Before any kids, I had my pickup truck and Corvette.  CR500R and CBR1000RR, and the snowmobile and boat.  I sold the CBR1000 to get the Corvette.  The boat used to get used 100 hours a season but that usage got dropped to 30 hours a season, a 70% decrease every year since kids.  After I got the Corvette, the CR500R went and I had nothing with two wheels and a motor.  

Fast forward 8 years to this past February.  The kids are older, 5 and 7 years old now.  I can take days off and go and ride and can also take a day off on a weekend without it being any sort of problem for the wife to watch the kids as they are easy and well behaved.  If you want the time to ride, you make the time to ride but, and here comes the butt, I hated the thought of leaving the kids to do anything until this past winter when I thought about a dual sport.  I felt like I was missing out.  Now, 5-7 years later, that feeling has been tempered a bit as they are now more independent and we do lots of things together and I also realize I still need to ride and enjoy the toys.  

If it were me, I'd sell it for what you can get.  By the time your kids can ride, the bikes will be better and if you had the money to buy now, you should have the extra money later.  

• Like 1

It is tough, the situation you are in with kid(s).  I was there starting in 2009.  

If you care to read my story, here it goes:

Before any kids, I had my pickup truck and Corvette.  CR500R and CBR1000RR, and the snowmobile and boat.  I sold the CBR1000 to get the Corvette.  The boat used to get used 100 hours a season but that usage got dropped to 30 hours a season, a 70% decrease every year since kids.  After I got the Corvette, the CR500R went and I had nothing with two wheels and a motor.  

Fast forward 8 years to this past February.  The kids are older, 5 and 7 years old now.  I can take days off and go and ride and can also take a day off on a weekend without it being any sort of problem for the wife to watch the kids as they are easy and well behaved.  If you want the time to ride, you make the time to ride but, and here comes the butt, I hated the thought of leaving the kids to do anything until this past winter when I thought about a dual sport.  I felt like I was missing out.  Now, 5-7 years later, that feeling has been tempered a bit as they are now more independent and we do lots of things together and I also realize I still need to ride and enjoy the toys.  

If it were me, I'd sell it for what you can get.  By the time your kids can ride, the bikes will be better and if you had the money to buy now, you should have the extra money later.  

Yeah, I think you and I are on the same wavelength. It doesn't make sense for me to have 5-6k tied up in something that I don't think I'll use much. If things change when they get older I can always buy a new bike.

• 4 weeks later...