Need advice fast- right side crank seal instal

Which way does the right side crank seal go in? I have a seal for a 2015 x and I'm wondering which side faces the crank? One side has letters on it and the seal is dark brown and set in from the outer part. The other side has a little bit of metal showing through the rubber coating and the inner seal is flush with the outer part. Which way  does it go in? I have a owners manual but not a shop manual

Its probably best to reference the sides of each seal by which side the spring is on, if you look you should see a spring that supports the rubber sealing surface.

The balancer shaft seal is installed from the LS and the spring should be toward the inside of the engine. The RS crank seal should be installed flush with the spring toward the inside of the engine.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TDW said:

Its probably best to reference the sides of each seal by which side the spring is on, if you look you should see a spring that supports the rubber sealing surface.

The balancer shaft seal is installed from the LS and the spring should be toward the inside of the engine. The RS crank seal should be installed flush with the spring toward the inside of the engine.

the crank seal has springs on both sides of the seal. i figured the balancer shaft seal goers that way but the crank seal doesn't make sense

No it makes sense, if you post a pic it would be more obvious I think after seeing the difference between the two sides.

The side with the letters on it that you were describing is going to be the outside, the other side with the little bit of metal showing is going to go in toward the engine. But yeah with seals its always important to know which side the spring(s) are on.

• Like 1

After doing some checking the RS crank seal you have is the newer style and like the pic shows is a double seal, I was thinking of the earlier seal used in the 06 and older engines which is a single spring single lip seal. The seal dimensions are the same except for the width, the newer double seal is .5 mm wider. That being the case I cant say for sure which side faces inward but for what its worth, the older single seal has the tan or brown colored section on it also.

You couldnt tell or remember which way the original one was installed?

6 hours ago, TDW said:

After doing some checking the RS crank seal you have is the newer style and like the pic shows is a double seal, I was thinking of the earlier seal used in the 06 and older engines which is a single spring single lip seal. The seal dimensions are the same except for the width, the newer double seal is .5 mm wider. That being the case I cant say for sure which side faces inward but for what its worth, the older single seal has the tan or brown colored section on it also.

You couldnt tell or remember which way the original one was installed?

Bike is an 06. It had the old style in it and it leaked to i got the newer style to replace it. The old seal was pretty self explanatory to put in. 

It didnt look like the 06 parts diagram was updating to the newer style seal but the newer one is obviously a better seal. I havent used the newer one so I cant say from experience if its a good idea. The RS cases between the two different years have different part numbers but whether it has anything to do with the seal area I dont know, the newer double seal is a little wider. Maybe just checking that the offset of the seal lip is located correctly on the flat surface of the balancer drive gear hub, and the extra thickness isnt a problem would be all that is needed. That may also help to determine which side should go inward, which I DONT know for sure but would probably Guess....the brown colored lip goes inward?