2014 rmz450 broken shift drum!!

Hello. Newbie here to the community. My buddy bought a 2014 suzuki rmz450 a few weeks ago and we took to the trails this past weekend. Well it ended a few hours after we started with him having no 3rd gear and eventually it would slide the rear tire when third gear was selected. I tore it down and found the shift drum broken and the shift fork beat up pretty good.  Also most dogs have pretty good wear on them. Anyone know if this is a common problem or if there are updated parts to prevent future failures? I did some searching and found info about the hammerhead +10 shifter and detent springs, but nothing like this. Thanks in advance. I'll attach pictures. 

IMG_0730.JPG

IMG_0731.JPG

IMG_0732.JPG

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0737.JPG

IMG_0739.JPG

IMG_0740.JPG

That's a possibility I suppose. It wasn't wrecked since my buddy bought it and shifted fine up to the point where it broke. We put almost 30 miles on it that day. 

I can tell you it is not a common problem. In fact this is the first I have ever seen of damage like that. Check out the cases for abnormal wear and rebuild it. Should be good to go. I would attribute that damage to nothing more than HORRIBLE luck. I've seen plenty of good used tranny's on ebay. 

Edited by BDubb106

My buddy is scared to death to put used parts in it since there's so much chatter about false neutrals and detent springs that trash your transmission on the internet. But this shift cam/drum is on national backorder. None to be had except used ones. 

On 8/18/2017 at 3:29 PM, Mackmechanic said:

My buddy is scared to death to put used parts in it since there's so much chatter about false neutrals and detent springs that trash your transmission on the internet. But this shift cam/drum is on national backorder. None to be had except used ones. 

Rmatv shows one in stock

Screenshot_20170820-161215.png

Edited by DEMI
  • Like 1

My 2 cents says that the previous owner liked to shift while the engine was still under a heavy load and didn't use the clutch.  That would explain the wear on the shift dog.

• Like 1

Yes sir. We got it. She's on the way. Thanks again for leading me to it. I literally looked everywhere except there. Lol. Yeah. I'm not sure about the exact cause of the failure. I know I'm my research I turned up a lot of info about false neutrals between 2nd and 3rd and people talking about it would eventually trash your tranny.?

• Like 1

Glad ya got it! Extra set of eyes never hurt. 

• Like 1

On 2017-08-18 at 1:42 PM, BDubb106 said:

I can tell you it is not a common problem. In fact this is the first I have ever seen of damage like that. Check out the cases for abnormal wear and rebuild it. Should be good to go. I would attribute that damage to nothing more than HORRIBLE luck. I've seen plenty of good used tranny's on ebay. 

Since the part is on back order it makes me wonder if it's more common than you say.

Benefit and curse of the same part fitting every year RMZ since 08.

Anyways. Shift drums do wear. However the OP's issue is not common. They simply do not break like that.

I have had this exact same problem 2 times now. I have a 2013 RMZ-450. the 1st time I only replaced the shift drum because I did not see any signs of wear on the shift forks or their shafts. I got about 10 hours of riding time on the 2nd shift drum and this one broke in the same spot. I am looking for advice on what can cause this and what all I should replace so I don't have to do it for a 3rd time.  

The one I did had lots of damage to the clutching teeth on most of the gears. I replaced everything. Shafts, springs,gears, everything. I also put a hammer head +10 shifter on it when I was done. Haven’t had any more issues out of my buddies. 

On 11/21/2017 at 8:23 AM, jake_1489 said:

I have had this exact same problem 2 times now. I have a 2013 RMZ-450. the 1st time I only replaced the shift drum because I did not see any signs of wear on the shift forks or their shafts. I got about 10 hours of riding time on the 2nd shift drum and this one broke in the same spot. I am looking for advice on what can cause this and what all I should replace so I don't have to do it for a 3rd time.  

Hi, I also had the same problem, have you found the solution to this problem?

Kinda late on this topic, .. .curious if you have to split the cases to replace that shift drum?.. or just remove the clutch side case cover and clutch basket . thx!

I personally attribute false neutrals and the wear on those shift forks to incomplete shifts, “power” shifting and shifting with the clutch partially engaged/disengaged. I could only think of couple things breaking 1/4 inch cast steel and none of them are listed in the dirt bike riding fundamentals handbook. Shifts no matter what kind of transmission they are on need to be swift and purposeful. Listen to some of the supercross practice sessions. You will notice sometimes they hold it wide open in 2nd instead of shifting up to third and then immediately back down to second and maybe down to first, time has to be allotted for shifting as they take a certain amount of time and cannot be made faster without the use of a slipper clutch which throws every thing I just said out the window.