2014 rmz450 broken shift drum!!

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:14 PM, joyhnye75 said:

Kinda late on this topic, .. .curious if you have to split the cases to replace that shift drum?.. or just remove the clutch side case cover and clutch basket . thx!

Yup, you need to split the cases to get at the shift drum.

On 8/16/2017 at 7:57 PM, Mackmechanic said:

Hello. Newbie here to the community. My buddy bought a 2014 suzuki rmz450 a few weeks ago and we took to the trails this past weekend. Well it ended a few hours after we started with him having no 3rd gear and eventually it would slide the rear tire when third gear was selected. I tore it down and found the shift drum broken and the shift fork beat up pretty good.  Also most dogs have pretty good wear on them. Anyone know if this is a common problem or if there are updated parts to prevent future failures? I did some searching and found info about the hammerhead +10 shifter and detent springs, but nothing like this. Thanks in advance. I'll attach pictures. 

IMG_0730.JPG

IMG_0731.JPG

IMG_0732.JPG

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0737.JPG

IMG_0739.JPG

IMG_0740.JPG

I know I remember reading something about transmission issues on these bikes a few years back. I do see the Shift Drum in Stock at RockyMountain like 2 - in stock. 

Also, I think if I recall it was false neutrals could be wrong check this out as well.

http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages/prods,rm-z450,08-16.html

One last note, Inspect your Shift Paws as well make sure they look good as well. I replaced them on a 2004 RM125 I just rebuilt the whole bottom-end and top end. It shifts like new now, I also replaced all case bearings. 

You may want to check that Case bearing the Shift Drum rides in as well it is not very expensive to replace.

Edited by ar2stroke