Bad OEM new piston? Would you use?

Brand new OEM piston has this small "dent" on the leading edge. Top of piston not smooth where you see the defect, sort of pushed up slightly, enough to feel with fingernail. Also you can see discoloration all around the defect, both on top and on front of piston.

Would you use it or get RMATV to exchange it for another?

I don't want to use it like this, especially with this defect running over exhaust port. Just want to see what others think and not overreact. What do you think?

20170816_223621.thumb.jpg.dcd6a8289763828c1ffa3babb28d3a3d.jpg

20170816_223641.jpg.0d98b8250218922a83a94bcacf5aecda.jpg

20170816_223625.thumb.jpg.43dd25e9253424765b9707ed4851fef3.jpg

It looks like it was dropped. Since you bought it like that I suggest you exchange it. They might even just send you a new one and let you keep that one. I've seen way worse than that come out of a running engine. I'd use it if there was nothing else available and you needed to race. Otherwise ask for a replacement.

• Like 1

At the risk of beating a dead horse...I wouldn't use it.  If it has been dropped, which looks likely, there's no telling what other distortion was introduced into the piston.  I liken it to the carbon fiber blade control arms on a formula one car - Unbelievably strong when exposed to the forces they are designed for, but tap another car?  They shatter like glass. 

Pistons are crazy tough when subjected to the forces they are engineered for.  Dropping them on concrete is not one of those forces lol.

RM is awesome, they'll get you a new one no trouble I'd bet.  I doubt they'll ask you to return yours either. 

• Like 2

Leo at RMATV hooked me up. No shipping charges. Sent me a FedEx label within a few minutes of my call. New piston has already shipped from Kentucky, so should be here tomorrow or as late as Monday. Not in a rush but do want to get this done so I can get off the KX250F and back on the YZ. Also excited to see how much better the bike will run without a sticky power valve (ordered a new top end, including new cylinder, since some knucklehead overground the exhaust PV chamber so much the valve tilts down in back and sticks like glue.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Texasxcrider said:

That's awesome! You'll probably have it Saturday. Ever since they switched to Fed Ex, their shipping times have decreased significantly AND Fed Ex delivers on Saturdays unlike UPS. 

I have a note in my file... 

Only ship fed ex. 

I have had way to many problems with Oncrack so I am only fed ex. Shipping is 2 days, not three or whenever the oncrackarsehat feels like delivering. 

• Like 1