I want to get a trailer jack for my 5x8 mesh trailer - but not sure if I should get one with a wheel or not.  I can see advantages and disadvantages for both - and that the advantage can also be a disadvantage sometimes.  I'd like to hear what those who have more experience with them think....

I have a heavy 5x8 wooden deck trailer.  I have a regular jack on the tongue that swivels down.  I have never seen the need for a wheeled jack.

• Like 1

I have a home made 4x8 trailer with a wheel jack on the tongue.  I see no disadvantages to it.  The advantage is I can have a bike on the trailer and roll it around the shop.

I dont jack it up and down, it has a spring loaded pin you pull and rotate it up 90 deg.

trailer frame.jpg

trailer frame 2.jpg

trailer no bike.jpg

• Like 1

A foldup jack that bolts to trailer frame is better if you drag the trailer into offroad situations where traditional jacks can drag.

A wheel will help is you see yourself having to push the trailer by had for whatever reason.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wielywilly-g said:

I have a home made 4x8 trailer with a wheel jack on the tongue.  I see no disadvantages to it.  The advantage is I can have a bike on the trailer and roll it around the shop.

I dont jack it up and down, it has a spring loaded pin you pull and rotate it up 90 deg.

trailer frame.jpg

trailer frame 2.jpg

trailer no bike.jpg

This times 72! Would never even consider not having a wheel. PS, that trailer would pull better if the fenders were Red. ;)

Edited by YHGEORGE

5 hours ago, BlackBuzzard said:

A foldup jack that bolts to trailer frame is better if you drag the trailer into offroad situations where traditional jacks can drag.

A wheel will help is you see yourself having to push the trailer by had for whatever reason.

Its certainly going to be a fold up one.  I do move the trailer around a lot, but I dont keep it loaded up.  Not sure how well the wheel would work in the dirt - I tried going with the double wheel one to make it easier to roll but its pretty bulky.  Now im unsure if I want to get the single wheel or non wheeled.

2 hours ago, YHGEORGE said:

This times 72! Would never even consider not having a wheel. PS, that trailer would pull better if the fenders were Red. ;)

Just 72x?  Lol - why feel so strongly about that?  Never had a trailer roll away on you or anything?

2 hours ago, Thump_Stump said:

Its certainly going to be a fold up one.  I do move the trailer around a lot, but I dont keep it loaded up.  Not sure how well the wheel would work in the dirt - I tried going with the double wheel one to make it easier to roll but its pretty bulky.  Now im unsure if I want to get the single wheel or non wheeled.

Just 72x?  Lol - why feel so strongly about that?  Never had a trailer roll away on you or anything?

Huh?

Back when I had a light 5x10 trailer I removed the post jack it came with because sometimes it would drag in the dirt, and replaced it with a wheeled jack that folded.  While that trailer was still light enough to lift up the tongue and move, it was still really nice to have a wheel for those times my hands were full and I needed to push the trailer with my hips a few feet to get something out.  As long as you are always mindful to chock the wheels when you're on a slope, I don't see a downside to having wheels, but there are plenty up upsides.

• Like 1

I've used PLENTY of trailers/implement jacks and the long and short is: if the trailer is extremely heavy - dump trailer and most farm implements definitely not a wheel.
Light duty dirt bike trailer - definitely a wheel. It's just the convenience of not having to hook up if you want to move it 10 feet. If the trailer is too heavy it will snap the little plastic wheel.