Single bike trailer for Dodge Challenger

I own a 2013 Dodge Challenger and I want to find the best and most economical way to transport my yz250. I would only need a setup for one bike, but I do not want to run a wheeled trailer . What would be the best way to go about it , factoring in clearance issues . Any suggestions appreciated . Thanks 

I find un-wheeled trailers make a lot of noise and sparks when you pull them.  I use a small light 1 bike trailer with practically no tounge weight. But is has 2 wheels so you wouldn't like that part, but probably your only option on a car not designed for a HD hitch.

• Like 3

I use your basic 4x8 Harbor Freight-type trailer but I see smaller ones at times, maybe 3x5 that seem perfect for 1 bike being pulled with a smaller car. Its funny that I hear guys say it's an absolute pain in the ass to buy a trailer kit, put it together and get it licensed. In Mn. now, you get a 1-time sticker that goes on the trailer tongue and that's it.  NO plate is required.

Will probably need auxiliary wheels under -neath the bumper with a hitch mount 

• Like 1

If you do go with a hitch mount carrier make sure its an aluminum one, they are considerably lighter.  Harbor Freight has a nice one that if you wait for a 20% coupon you can get for ~$100.  Not sure what clearance would be like on a Challenger, though.

This hitch mount has a 2" reciever and claims 500lb tongue wt.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Dodge/Challenger/2013/C13093.html?vehicleid=2013306808

Say you put a hitch rack carrier on with a real short extension keeping the weight real close to your bumper. Say it is 40 lbs and your bike is 250, it should hold as long as you don't hit any bumps or swells in the road.

Edited by wielywilly-g

Better be smooth roads, will be awful otherwise. Now, if we were talking old skool with it jacked sky high with Cragar mags, feathered hair and a roach clip hanging from the rear view mirror, then the hitch mount will work.

• Like 4

Really, if I'm stuck with a small car to get me out riding, I'm going with one of those tiny trailers.  I see them on the road once in a while but don't know who sells them.

• Like 2

Lightweight 5x8 utility trailer from Northern Tool, Tractor Supply or any other trailer co. Zero issues and will have room for other stuff like gas cans etc. Don't overthink something not worth thinking about.

• Like 2

My JETTA pulled a trailer no problem and with a trailer there is room for gear, can, etc without messing up the interior.

• Like 2

I MUST add for any bike trailer activity, I LOVE this clamp.  Nothing else needed up front.  The double hoop is tightened down on the tire by the single hoop. The clamping pressure depends on how far back you push the double hoop before clamping it.  It can actually squish the front tire down a little, it squeezes so tight - and all with one hand. I usually add a strap on each side for added support positioned so they put a slight force forward when tightened.  

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/1012/67078/Motorsport-Products-Clamping-Wheel-Chock

• Like 1

On 8/17/2017 at 0:00 PM, DEMI said:

Better be smooth roads, will be awful otherwise. Now, if we were talking old skool with it jacked sky high with Cragar mags, feathered hair and a roach clip hanging from the rear view mirror, then the hitch mount will work.

Kinda halfway there . What's left of my hair is free to blow  in the wind . The front is lowered. I have custom red foose instead of cragars, but I do have hood pins and super shops stickers on both sides . No roach clip, but Iron Maiden , Van Halen , or AC/DC blasting 24 hours a day. Hope this compensates . 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice brothers . Looks like I'll just have to roll a small wheeled trailer. First things first, I gotta get the hitch installed . Then hopefully I can find something decent on Craigslist . Thanks again for the help. 

• Like 1

I bought my first trailer from a local big trailer store. It was 5x8 and aluminum, weighed well under 500 lbs. My Passat was rated for only 100 lbs tongue weight and 1000 lbs max. Pulled the trailer and two dirt bikes with ease.

I don't like cheap trailers with small wheels, IMHO, etc.

I had an old one horse trailer that had been sitting around for about ten years so when I got my dirt bike, rather than buy a new trailer, I converted it to a bike trailer. Not that you would want to do this, but FYI, it weighs 1000 lbs. With the bike on it. I pull it with my Chevy Cruz. My car has a 1000 lb. towing capacity and it pulls it easily. I can't even tell it's back there. I purchased a hitch for my car from etrailer.com for about $150. Easy to install and works for my trailer weight. I also have a 3x5 trailer from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool (can't remember). I would NEVER use it...very difficult to back up cause it's squirrelly.
20170712_145555.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using ThumperTalk mobile app

• Like 1

IMG_3988.jpg.a55d604c92e10328923ff86ecd242831.jpg

Like this haha

But yea I use a hitch carrier, but I also have a jeep, but I think it'd work the same as long as your hitch could support 500 pounds

• Like 3