2011 vs 2012 wr450f

So have a 2000 WR400 as my main dirtbike and don't get me wrong i enjoy it quite alot but think its time to upgrade. 

Looked at a few bikes and there's a couple of excellent condition 2011, 2012 wr450's around and fits in my price range. Only thing is 2012 came out with fuel injection 2011 didn't. Is it worth spending the extra $$$ for fuel injection?

Is fuel injection a flat throttle curve?

Just curious on people opinions.

Some people like the first generation of fuel injection. It has a newer frame and most needed to mess around with the CO setting with a separate fuel injection setting tool as they were hard starting when hot. They appeared down a bit on top end HP. They also have better forks that don't need to be modified.

The carbed version does quite well with a Zipty carb mod for better low end torque. The forks need Racetech valves or similar in the forks. 

Both have the great reliable five valve engine. 

Pick one. 

• Like 1

Forget about FI vs carb. The 2012 has the better suspension, period.

I had a 2000 WR400, and went to the 2012 WR450. You can't compare the suspension between the two bikes. The 2012 is so much better. Both bikes have the same wet weight, but the 2012 feels lighter in the trails. Might be a bit from mass centralization, but I think a good part of it is from a lighter flywheel. When I first got the 2012 I stalled it a lot cause I was use to the WR400's lugability.

Edit, with the competition ECU you can adjust the power output.

P.S. I was sad to see my WR400 go, it was my first dirt bike.

Edited by Spiritwalker2222

1 hour ago, Spiritwalker2222 said:

Forget about FI vs carb. The 2012 has the better suspension, period.

I had a 2000 WR400, and went to the 2012 WR450. You can't compare the suspension between the two bikes. The 2012 is so much better. Both bikes have the same wet weight, but the 2012 feels lighter in the trails. Might be a bit from mass centralization, but I think a good part of it is from a lighter flywheel. When I first got the 2012 I stalled it a lot cause I was use to the WR400's lugability.

Edit, with the competition ECU you can adjust the power output.

P.S. I was sad to see my WR400 go, it was my first dirt bike.

The comparison was between a 2011 and 2012 not a WR400? No mas centralization on the 2012. The backwards motor stuff happened on the 2016. 

• Like 2

Yeh I just need it to be reliable, got stuck on a KTM 20km from nearest road cause of hot start issue and I'm skeptical of first year fuel injection just cause I've heard some problems. There are many improvements over older model, but i can fix a carburetor tune it, fuel injection is all electronic and need the separate tool.

Thanks for the replies.  

The hot start isn't a 'get stuck in the bush' problem, more a 'the e-start doesn't work first time after you stall it' problem.

Using the kick start will get you going again 99% of the time. Yamaha dealers may even be able to adjust the CO values and fix the problem completely.

9 hours ago, SatansReverence said:

The hot start isn't a 'get stuck in the bush' problem, more a 'the e-start doesn't work first time after you stall it' problem.

Using the kick start will get you going again 99% of the time. Yamaha dealers may even be able to adjust the CO values and fix the problem completely.

Ah ok, cheers mate

I have one of those 2011 with the mods.  I had someone ask me if it was EFI after they saw me kick start it a few times for grins.