2009 XT250 vs 2008 WR250R

Hi, I am going this weekend to look at these two bikes.  I have a couple decades of motorcycle experience, but havent ridden either of these bikes before specifically.  I have ridden some small dual sports (TW200, DR200).  I am 5'11" and 220lbs for reference.  This will be for causal weekend riding, gravel roads, some trails, nothing intense.  I would love to eventually do some motorcycle camping off it.  This would be my only bike.

2009 XT250 $1899 - 17k miles, skid plate,  rear rack, wrap around hand guards.  stock muffler is dented, rear signal lights are taped up. 

2008 WR250R $3149 - 10k miles, skid plate, FMF Q4 exhaust, wrap around hand guards, aftermarket (led?) signal and brake lights, yamalink. missing one mirror, seat foam shaved.

I have the feeling I have time to see one of these this weekend so I need to choose where to focus.  My thought is the XT would be fine, its got a carb, its simple, and I can easily replace the exhaust and lights.  The WR seems more exciting but I would probably have to replace the seat or maybe remove the yamalink?

Thoughts?

I've never ridden an XT but would think either of these bikes would be fine for your intended purpose.

I would assume the XT would be more comfortable and easier to ride while the WRR would be more fun and able to be ridden harder / faster.

Number one difference is the ride height.  You have to be comfortable with the higher stance of the WR. If your inseam is less than 32 inches, the XT may be better for you.

WR is a modern design, the XT is OLD School.

As you note, the XT is lower tech and simpler to maintain.  The suspension is quite basic, and will disappoint you if you try to ride fast.

I went for old school simple. I bought a used 2009 XT250 today.  Should be good for me to get back into the swing of things cheaply!