True or False: the bolt loosened up and the kick starter fell off while I was riding.

I know very little about kick-starters and nothing about Gas Gas but that sounds a little dicey to me. A cute little 125 has popped up for sale locally and the guys says that is the reason that there is no kick-starter. Having been recently burned by a  (very) old  YZ125 that is now a collection of parts in my shed, I'm not anxious to take on another "project". Bolting on a new kick-starter? Sure. Tearing the engine appart to replace an worn or stripped starter-shaft...thingie...whatever they're called...not so much. 

My brother purchased a nike with that exact story- bolt fell out but I just jump start it.

Turns out the stator was shot. Not a big deal as it was only an $80 part but he also had to buy a kick starter to find out that the stator was just bad enough that it needed the extra rotational speed from a bump start to run.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

16 minutes ago, bldmtnrider said:

My brother purchased a nike with that exact story- bolt fell out but I just jump start it.

Turns out the stator was shot. Not a big deal as it was only an $80 part but he also had to buy a kick starter to find out that the stator was just bad enough that it needed the extra rotational speed from a bump start to run.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

That is literally the exact story. It's a cheep anough little toy but it's not about money, it's about time.  

Sure, the story is possible. But you have to ask yourself do you really want to buy a bike from a guy who is too cheap to slap on a new kickstarter to sell the bike?

Where else did this guy cheap out on. I'd pass on the bike for sure.

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 10:00 AM, GreenDRZ said:

That is literally the exact story. It's a cheep anough little toy but it's not about money, it's about time.  

It is very possible the kick start lever fell off.  If it bumtstarts and runs fine it is likely ok.  If the kickstart shaft or gears are a problem it should not be more than a couple hundred bucks and they can be replaced in less than a hour.  If you are really worried the guy is trying to pull something, either drain the oil and look for debris or have him open the side cover and show you the kickstart gears. You can try to bring the kicker off your YZ shed art and see if the splines match.

We have a 2003 EC125 and 2002 MC125 they are great bikes if you are looking for a small bore woods bike that has better low end than a MX bike and still screams like a 125 should.

Edited by shredmasterz
more info

So, in the end I am goig to go with "false". I removed the bolt keeping my YZs kick starter completely and I can't MAKE the lever come off! 

I think he indicated the kickstarter center securement bolt fell out and then the kickstarter fell off the engine so the owner no longer has the kickstart lever.

That is KTM's 4th prototype of a hybrid trials / dirt track bike with the optional HD kickstand.  The bike turned left like with almost no rider input and you could start it while standing on the kickstand.

I have had a kick starter fall off, it can happen. This was on my Maico 500... however, I tend to believe this scenario as a cover story.