What all tools needed?

If this thread already exists I'm sorry I couldn't find it. But what are all the tools needed for maintenance and repairs for a 2013 RMZ450? The bike did not come with an owners manual and the dealership wants to charge $70 for one and takes 2 weeks to get one. I don't trust the online sources from just taking my money. All I have is a socket set really, what else do I need? Alan keys, torque wrench?..etc. I've never done more than change the oil and filters. But apparently your supposed to check valves twice a month?? It seems like a lot of work to do so often but I'm going to attempt to try it this weekend and would like to learn the ins and outs of my bike anyway so I can one day rebuild it myself too. So if you have any advise on what to do and when/how often and the tools needed to do them so I can go out and buy these tools tomorrow. Sorry for the long post, your advise is always helpful, thank you much!

My recommendations are A 32 mm for the rear axle, feeler gauges that go down to .001, a good torque wrench, a good set of ratchets, extensions, metric sockets, the only allens you really need are a 4,5,6, and 8 mm.

You don't need a whole lot, for checking valves, and "twice a month" would really depend on how much you rode. Every oil change or about 8 hours is the timeframe I follow. You will also need a shim kit if you need to adjust the valves, make sure to put some oil in the head (on the cams) when/if you take the cams out. DO NOT over torque the cam caps! It will be catastrophic if you do. As far as the manual goes. Buy a digital one on eBay. I've done it for dozens of different bikes with no issues. You have paypal protection, so they will refund your money if you have a problem.

• Like 1

Wow every oil change you have to check the valves? I change my oil every 5-6 hours (every weekend) I figured I could go every 3rd oil change (15 hours). I'll look at eBay see if I find anything. Thanks for the tool list! But seems like a lot of work, for every 6 hours of riding gotta spend 3 hours in the garage checking stuff. Maybe it doesn't take so long after a while? Also someone said something about checking chain and guides or something? I'm quickly finding out this isn't a toy I can just hop on and ride, seems like more work than play.

8 hours is on the conservative side, I know guys that go 10 hours and don't run into any issues. Checking valves *for me Can be done in less than an hour from start to finish. It's not complicated at all. Adjusting the valves takes a bit longer, maybe about 2 hours. But Even at 10 hours, that's quite a bit of ride time. Get an hour meter and you really see that you don't ride all that much in terms of hours. Unless your raging and going out in the desert for 8 hours at a time, but going on a good moto for 20 laps or so, is only maybe an hour.

Checking the guides is a visual thing, they are metal coated with plastic, just make sure the plastic is still there and it's not coming off the guides. The timing chain needs to be replaced every 40-50 hours. A stretched timing chain causes all sorts of weird issues, like jumping time, ETC. check the timing tensioner while your there. In my experience with RMZs over the last 10 years. They are great engines, but the timing components need to be monitored quite frequently.

Ok much appreciated info, MUDKING, thanks. I use a stop watch for engine hours but would like an actual hour meter, any recommended ones? I've never been to a track, I do just ride around the desert. We got this local spot that is along side the Missouri River we call "the desert" but more formally known as Kimball Bottoms. It's just a very long stretch of sand beaches with a lot of of heavily wooded trails a little bit inland bordering a wildlife management area. I'll spend all weekend out there sometimes putting about 5-6 actual hours on the engine.

Also, as far as shim kits and timing chain, and well every part really, where do you buy these things? Online or strait from Suzuki? I don't think I'm ever going to try aftermarket and always stick with OEM.. if you couldn't tell I'm completely new to dirt bikes and especially the mechanical aspects, so if my questions seem stupid that's why.

On 8/17/2017 at 0:52 PM, DirtMcGurts420 said:

Ok much appreciated info, MUDKING, thanks. I use a stop watch for engine hours but would like an actual hour meter, any recommended ones? 

Also, as far as shim kits and timing chain, and well every part really, where do you buy these things? Online or strait from Suzuki? I don't think I'm ever going to try aftermarket and always stick with OEM.. if you couldn't tell I'm completely new to dirt bikes and especially the mechanical aspects, so if my questions seem stupid that's why.

For the hour meter - I buy the less than $10 ones off eBay. I put them on my mower, pressure washer, snow blower, dirtbike, pretty much everything with an engine. They are pretty cheap and I have never had one fail. I even blast them with the pressure washer every wash and haven't had one fail. 

For the other parts - you may want to check out your local motorcycle shop and see what they can order for you. Other than that, you can get those parts from Motosport or Rocky Mountain ATV.

• Like 1

For the hour meter - I buy the less than $10 ones off eBay. I put them on my mower, pressure washer, snow blower, dirtbike, pretty much everything with an engine. They are pretty cheap and I have never had one fail. I even blast them with the pressure washer every wash and haven't had one fail. 

For the other parts - you may want to check out your local motorcycle shop and see what they can order for you. Other than that, you can get those parts from Motosport or Rocky Mountain ATV.

Now realizing the world of dirt bikes is extremely time consuming and expensive... but that smile when you ride tho...

Speaking of time and money consumption.. I want to learn how to fully take apart my motor and bike and put it back together as it seems this knowledge is crucial in this sport. I'm already going broke and can't afford to take it to a mechanic all the time. I don't want to ruin my new motor by my first attempt at taking it apart. Would it be worth buying a used second motor? (don't know if you can buy a new motor itself?) I'd like a second one anyway perhaps if possible so that one is always ready to go in case one starts acting up I can swap it then have plenty of time to work on it off the frame as it seems to need to be off the frame anyway to get to the meat of the motor. Is this practical, or should I just go for it? I'm thinking of posting an ad for an experienced hand to mentor/coach me thru it one of these weekends. After these expenses it'll be Ramen for the rest of the year haha but for real tho.

Hey thanks for the input!. I just got informed recently on RockyMountainATV.com and actually have a big shipment on its way currently! (No hour meter tho, just going to stick with the stop watch or look into the one you mentioned on eBay). Pretty excited. Also some custom graphics from FusionGraphix.com that I'm super stoked for!
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DirtMcGurts420 said:

Now realizing the world of dirt bikes is extremely time consuming and expensive... but that smile when you ride tho... emoji13.png

Speaking of time and money consumption.. I want to learn how to fully take apart my motor and bike and put it back together as it seems this knowledge is crucial in this sport. I'm already going broke and can't afford to take it to a mechanic all the time. I don't want to ruin my new motor by my first attempt at taking it apart. Would it be worth buying a used second motor? (don't know if you can buy a new motor itself?) I'd like a second one anyway perhaps if possible so that one is always ready to go in case one starts acting up I can swap it then have plenty of time to work on it off the frame as it seems to need to be off the frame anyway to get to the meat of the motor. Is this practical, or should I just go for it? I'm thinking of posting an ad for an experienced hand to mentor/coach me thru it one of these weekends. After these expenses it'll be Ramen for the rest of the year haha but for real tho.

Hey thanks for the input!. I just got informed recently on RockyMountainATV.com and actually have a big shipment on its way currently! (No hour meter tho, just going to stick with the stop watch or look into the one you mentioned on eBay). Pretty excited. Also some custom graphics from FusionGraphix.com that I'm super stoked for!

The most recent bike I purchased (a clapped out 2005 kx250f), I purchased specifically for learning how to rebuild engines. So yea, it could be greatly beneficial if you can find the same engine. Then you'll have replacement parts as well as new knowledge.

• Like 1

The most recent bike I purchased (a clapped out 2005 kx250f), I purchased specifically for learning how to rebuild engines. So yea, it could be greatly beneficial if you can find the same engine. Then you'll have replacement parts as well as new knowledge.

Nice! Don't know if I can find a clapped out 2013 RMZ450... the wife would kill me if I bought a second bike! Unless it was like totaled and almost given away haha.. maybe I can say I got it for her? Haha
But thanks again! I'll be looking for a good deal. Still think I'm gonna post an ad see if a mechanic will mentor me a day or 2 for $25 an hour one of these weekends.. I definitely can't afford $100 an hour at the bike shop