Thoughts on a new helmet

Hello all ,

After breaking my collar bone and having my head run over twice within one day I think its fair to say my Fox V2 helmet should be replaced.

My question is what would be a good choice? There are so many options. Should I buy a helmet with this MIPS technology?

I'm just graduated from high school so I don't have he option to put down $700 on a helmet , but I also don't want the cheapest thing out there.

Any advice?

1 minute ago, Mudd94 said:

Choose MIPS.  

Find the helmet that fits your head the best, not the brand you like best.

Look for closeouts.

Closeouts are the key.  I got my current Bell for a fraction of new price in a closeout deal.

• Like 1

Just now, cjjeepercreeper said:

Closeouts are the key.  I got my current Bell for a fraction of new price in a closeout deal.

Same.  I got my Fly F2 carbon for about half of the current model year.  

Only difference was the graphics.

I just bought a new Fox V1.  My old V1 was trashed and I didn't feel safe in it anymore.  I know its not a 6D or a Shoei but a new helmet it much better than a beat helmet.  When I have the money I'll buy a high end one.  

I tried the Thor and Fly entry level helmets and the Fox definitely felt the best/ fit my head best.  Also the helmet I have worn for the past 2 years so...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cjjeepercreeper said:

x2. I got a Bell Moto 9 Carbon Flex for $325 a couple months ago. Screaming deal and it's a great lid.

I live near the Bell factory.  I have a friend that had some kind of "in" with the management.  We went over there a couple times to a liitle room in there warehouse where they sold blemished helmets to employees. $200 mtn bike helmets for $5 and any Motorcycle helmet for $35.  Just crazy deals and I couldn't find any blemishes on the ones I got.

• Like 1

Yep, closeouts are your friend. Try to get the most advanced helmet you can for your money. Helmets with MIPS and the like are the only way to go IMO. I found my Kali Shiva 2.0 for $200 (normally $350) with only a quick google search and it is a top quality helmet.

• Like 1

MIPs is a good idea, a lot of crashes do have rotational forces which is where MIPs can come in handy. Some helmets may be better suited for different head sizes such as round,oval, or long oval. The better the fit, the better the protection.

I have been through my share of helmets over the 42 years I have been riding.  I currently have a Troy Lee, Fly carbon and a Shoei.  I just bought a new Bell moto 9 carbon flex.  I really like this helmet.  Bought half price as a closeout.  Now that I have worn it,  I would pay full price if I had to.  Just a great helmet.

• Like 1

I just got a new helmet, the Suomy MX Jump. I have a couple bad discs in my neck, so light weight was a priority, as is ventilation for the summer heat here in Florida. Got it for $311, great helmet.