any luck with patching HD tubes?

just pinched a few :) and wonder if I should throw them away or try to patch  it.

Learn to mount tires or save yourself a bunch of money by paying someone to do it.  I haven't pinched a tube in probably 40 years.

And, I don't patch motorcycle tubes, only bicycle.

A thorn puncture, you can patch. A pinch, the tube is junk. While you may only have a small tear, the integrity of the area on both sides of the tear is compromised.

If I am replacing a tire and the tube has been patched, I replace it.

If the tube is old, I replace it.

When installing a tube, put just enough air in the tube to give it shape. Make sure the tube is well 'settled' in the tire before carefully spooning the tire on the rest of the way. You roll the tire bead in, not forcing.

• Like 2

I patch HD motorcycle tubes for sure.  But the holes are from riding, not from installing.

Watch some videos and get your method down pat.  No more pinches...

Edited by wielywilly-g

1 hour ago, wielywilly-g said:

I patch HD motorcycle tubes for sure.  But the holes are from riding, not from installing.

Watch some videos and get your method down pat.  No more pinches...

but who said it was while installing... been riding on very sharp stones with low tyre pressure and front got pinched somehow, don't see anything on the tyre itself.

2 minutes ago, motf said:

but who said it was while installing... been riding on very sharp stones with low tyre pressure and front got pinched somehow, don't see anything on the tyre itself.

My bad for assuming. I hope you can forgive me. I will patch holes up to 1mm uninflated.

I patch 'em. Pinch flats, thorn punctures, regular tube, HD tube, UHD tube, whatever, as long as it's a hole and not a tear in the tube, patch it. I grew up back in the days of tube type car and truck tires and have patched tubes going in everything from 6.00 x 15s going on granny's old Pontiac to 10.00 x 20s going on semi trucks. Do your patch job right and it's as good as new. 

Message me and I'll give you all my address so you can send me all your punctured and snake bite "junk" tubes.. :smirk:

• Like 4

I've had a zero success rate for patching tubes.  I've tried everything imaginable and it seems like nothing sticks for very long on today's tubes.  I gave up a few years ago and just buy new tubes now.

13 minutes ago, Float said:

I've had a zero success rate for patching tubes.  I've tried everything imaginable and it seems like nothing sticks for very long on today's tubes.  I gave up a few years ago and just buy new tubes now.

It's all in how you do them. Buff the patch area more than you think you need to, get the cement on there right, and roller it down good, it'll last forever. Snake bit my front summer before last, rode it 3 miles back to the truck on the flat, pulled the B-Stone UHD tube out, patched the snake bite holes (one patch, two holes), new tire, it's still holding air as good as a new one. Pinched a new HD tube putting on a rear tire last summer (first time I'd done that in 10 years :facepalm:), patched it, second time was better, still holding air like a new one. I've had 6-7 patches on them and still good. Just gotta do it right. :thumbsup:  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OLHILLBILLY said:

I patch 'em. Pinch flats, thorn punctures, regular tube, HD tube, UHD tube, whatever, as long as it's a hole and not a tear in the tube, patch it. I grew up back in the days of tube type car and truck tires and have patched tubes going in everything from 6.00 x 15s going on granny's old Pontiac to 10.00 x 20s going on semi trucks. Do your patch job right and it's as good as new. 

Message me and I'll give you all my address so you can send me all your punctured and snake bite "junk" tubes.. :smirk:

Lol! Me too on growing up patching tubes. Don't like to, though. My homie pinched a brand new UHD rear tube, very rare for him, too easy for me, hence him changing my tires. Pulled it out, patched it, going on a year with no problems. It will get replaced next time. Worked in gas stations in the late 60's and patched a blue million car tubes.

I tried patching an UHD tube and the glue wouldnt take to it

Im wondering if the old Vulcanizing method would work - BURN THE MOFO !!

Depends on where you ride really.  Close to the truck or on a track, no harm in trying a patch.  Way back in the woods, out of cell range and down a few big hills.  Would you trade a flat way out there for the $30 you saved on a tube?  Doubtful.

• Like 1

Think sometime here in the near future I need to make a tube patching tutorial video and post it on here. It's a simple process that just takes a few minutes, can be done with stuff gotten at any Walmart, and is 100% reliable if done right. The cost of riding is high enough as it is, can't believe people are throwing away good tubes just because they have a hole in them.. :confused:

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, OLHILLBILLY said:

Think sometime here in the near future I need to make a tube patching tutorial video and post it on here. It's a simple process that just takes a few minutes, can be done with stuff gotten at any Walmart, and is 100% reliable if done right. The cost of riding is high enough as it is, can't believe people are throwing away good tubes just because they have a hole in them.. :confused:

Patch it and keep it as a spare i always say  :excuseme:

Still cant figure out why the glue wouldnt take to a UHD tube i had - i roughed up the rubber like you do - the glue basically just peeled off

I guess it comes down to how much money you have to spend.
Once I have 3 patches I throw the tube away. If the tube is disintegrating from old age I throw it away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320AZ using ThumperTalk mobile app