Wenatchee/Entiat trails, best bike?

So I'm in the search for another bike (currently ride a wr250r) and I'm having a tough time deciding if I should go 4stroke or 2stroke. Started looking at a kdx200 but just not sure if a 2stroke will work on some of the very tight single track trails here in the eastern cascades. PLEASE NO KTM RESPONSE. I AM PERFECTLY AWARE THEY ARE "THE BEST". I'm just looking for a cheaper bike to have as a trail bike to learn more skills on vs my wr250r that is just too damn heavy.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using ThumperTalk mobile app

A KDX 200 will go anywhere you wish to go. Even as old as 1990 are good bikes. They are like any bike you need to set them up properly. I had a 1991 that i bought new the year i graduated from high school. That bike was ridden all over. From Tahaya, Taneum, naches and capital forest where all places we rode. As an 18 year old i did not need anything else. Rode with people in those places that had KDX`s the same year and who where 20 lbs and 20 years older than i was. None of us had much to complain about with that bike. I also took out kids of friends of my dads and would spend hours putting around in second gear fallowing kids on 80`s and 100`s. The bike always performed up to whatever task i asked of it. I have a coworker who has and early 2000`s who loves the bike. I do not think you could go wrong with a KDX 200.

• Like 1

I don't actually own a ktm, I have a woods modded YZ250 2t that is decidedly not happy to be putted around on. I need a KDX too.

Sent from my SM-G935V using ThumperTalk mobile app

See if thought about doing the same thing with a yz250 but seems it just would do very well in tight technical terrain.

A KDX 200 will go anywhere you wish to go. Even as old as 1990 are good bikes. They are like any bike you need to set them up properly. I had a 1991 that i bought new the year i graduated from high school. That bike was ridden all over. From Tahaya, Taneum, naches and capital forest where all places we rode. As an 18 year old i did not need anything else. Rode with people in those places that had KDX`s the same year and who where 20 lbs and 20 years older than i was. None of us had much to complain about with that bike. I also took out kids of friends of my dads and would spend hours putting around in second gear fallowing kids on 80`s and 100`s. The bike always performed up to whatever task i asked of it. I have a coworker who has and early 2000`s who loves the bike. I do not think you could go wrong with a KDX 200.

Well that helps me out a lot knowing the kdx is a good bike. Does worry me about parts for an older bike so trying to find a early 2000s if possible.

I have seen some made street legal, so i am sure that would be an easy option if that is something your interested in. Probably would not take much to put turn signals,horn and some mirrors. Get DOT legal tires and you would be set. I know my 91 was not slow and was a blast on fire roads. Back when you could ride on the coal hills in cle elm we would go over there on memorial day weekend. The later years we would camp at turtle town and ride the power line road to the flats. Then once at the flats we would choose our route from there. The 11 miles from Turtle town to the flats a fun little warm up ride. My KDX would stay with bigger bikes and was faster than my dads xr 250. 

• Like 1

Did you ever consider a Husqvarna?

I'm kidding!!.  What about going back further to the 185's that Suzuki made?  Too far back?

I've been riding an 04 KDX220 since last November. It is my first 2 stroke and it's great. Not as awesome as the 17 TX300 I rode for a day, but cheap and trusty. Ride a fair bit of tight ST.

• Like 1

As previously posted a lot depends on the rider and how the bike is set up so the question becomes which bike is easiest to mod to suit your terrain and riding style.

I'm a big fan of 4Ts as the most versatile power for a trail bike but trail riding doesn't need the kind of HP the modern 4Ts produce. IMO tractable broad power is what is needed, at least for tight technical trails.  For decades my favorite bike for the various Cascade mountain trails was a RM chassis with a XR motor; grunt power and an easy to ride chassis, it was like a billy goat on hill climbs and easily got up thru tight switchbacks.
Have said that I've owned two 2Ts that with mods became great Enduro bikes and great in the mountains. One was a CR400 Husky and the other a plated Bultaco 370 Frontera.

Today my trail bike is a modded CRF250X but it is heavy at 250lbs wet so for tight technical trails I have a late XR200R with a Powroll 218 motor along with modern suspension and disc brakes.  The shorter wheel base, steeper steering rake, and lighter weight make it a great tight woods bike but it requires a more proactive riding style than some other bikes. 
I know that all sounds Pollyanna but all of the bikes needed to be modded and I suspect you will probably need to do the same so the challenge is to find a bike requiring the least mods.

Tomorrow we will ride Greenwater and Naches with my X and a friend's XR218 that is similar to mine, and I'll know more about how my X works on open mountain trails.

Rmx250 is good. Yz250wr or yz250z but they're getting pretty old. Kdx250 made 91-94 also getting old. 03/04 kx250 are very torquey as is 98 and 99 too. 97 to 98 really are better than 99 because they have a much lower first gear. Tractable power too. Honda cr250 02-07 are incredible handling and don't hit like the yz250.

Just a few more options.

I would start with your budget. How much?

I would like to find something around $3,000 preferably but $2,500 base bike and $500 for accessories. Can always pay more but if I get a good deal on a bike it's fine for the additional cost. I'm not looking for the top of the line bike at the moment due to having a newborn baby so something cheaper to get better at trails/enduro riding would be great.

I have a heavily woods modded yz 250 big bore. Phenomenal trail bike. Buuuuut.......you have a newborn so your time is at a premium, and modding bikes takes it up. I was lucky that I had another bike when I worked on my yz (I also had a newborn). It took me all winter. My vote is also kdx. Ride it and love it. FYI. Kdx 200s from 1996-2005 are identical other than graphics.

How tall are you?  If you are over 6', my biased opinion would point you towards an XR400. The weight isn't much better than your WR (20#?), but its reliability is unmatched, and it pulls like a tractor. 100 miles on a tank. But if you're inseam-challenged like me, a smaller bike would make life a whole lot more pleasant. You could almost fit a new CRF230 in your budget, and have e-start to boot.