DRZ400s steel gas tank vs 3.2 IMS

Well I always come to this site for asnwers and finally decided to make myself an account.. pretty excited to be apart of what appears to be a very friendly, and helpful community!

Anyways, the point of this post is to get any opinions/ pictures of the 3.2 tank made by IMS for my 07 DRZ400s.. I have a the stock tank on it now and never had a problem with it.. well that is of course untill I lost my balance putting the bike away one night and it fell straight onto the corner of my bike stand.. straight milion dollar baby style, slow, and nothing i could do about it.. and devestating to my poor tank :thumbsdn:  I'd love to find a direct OE replacement for my tank which has vey little decal from the front shroud on it and is yellow.. but that is proving to be a pretty difficult task for under $600! I'd like to keep the stock look, so I really dont want a bulky or ugly tank, nor do I really need since I never need the extended distance on a tank of gas.

If anybody has pictures of there yellow bike with the white 3.2 IMS, I'd appreciate seeing them greatly..fuel capacity is not an issue for me either, I just want it to look as good or better than the original tank. Also, it looks ike you use your stock shrouds on the 3.2, but please correctme if I am wrong!  Thanks 

P.s. If anybody has the stock tank that matches my bike and wants to sell it I would be very open to that idea! I will attach a photo of my stock tank.

dented tank.jpg

Try to, empty the tank, maybe flush with water, heat up the tank and when very warm (careful not to hot for the paint) apply dry ice. It MAY go back to original state doing this.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LoLoSama said:

Try to, empty the tank, maybe flush with water, heat up the tank and when very warm (careful not to hot for the paint) apply dry ice. It MAY go back to original state doing this.

It looks to me like it punched a hole in the tank.

1 hour ago, LoLoSama said:

Neighbor did that with his Harley tank. It was like witchcraft. :smirk:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ajdino said:

Well I always come to this site for asnwers and finally decided to make myself an account.. pretty excited to be apart of what appears to be a very friendly, and helpful community!

Anyways, the point of this post is to get any opinions/ pictures of the 3.2 tank made by IMS for my 07 DRZ400s.. I have a the stock tank on it now and never had a problem with it.. well that is of course untill I lost my balance putting the bike away one night and it fell straight onto the corner of my bike stand.. straight milion dollar baby style, slow, and nothing i could do about it.. and devestating to my poor tank :thumbsdn:  I'd love to find a direct OE replacement for my tank which has vey little decal from the front shroud on it and is yellow.. but that is proving to be a pretty difficult task for under $600! I'd like to keep the stock look, so I really dont want a bulky or ugly tank, nor do I really need since I never need the extended distance on a tank of gas.

If anybody has pictures of there yellow bike with the white 3.2 IMS, I'd appreciate seeing them greatly..fuel capacity is not an issue for me either, I just want it to look as good or better than the original tank. Also, it looks ike you use your stock shrouds on the 3.2, but please correctme if I am wrong!  Thanks 

P.s. If anybody has the stock tank that matches my bike and wants to sell it I would be very open to that idea! I will attach a photo of my stock tank.

dented tank.jpg

Nothing like a METAL tank, I totally agree....and if volume isn't an issue, I won't bother recommending an Acerbis tank which is way nicer and of better quality than any of the others.

That said, I put a WTB ad on CL for a DRZ S tank and believe it or not got more than 1 response. I bought a yellow one that had a minor scratch (surface only) and took it to the local powder painter. He sandblasted it down to metal and powder painted it black, which is what I wanted. You could obviously paint yellow. I only paid $35 for it and with everything said and done, it came to less than $100 ($87 and a 6 pack). Try it, you may get a taker..............just sayin'

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LoLoSama said:
1 hour ago, Doc_d said:
It looks to me like it punched a hole in the tank.

Oh.....thats not good...

I looked closer at the picture and I'm not sure now.  I'm sure the poster will let us know.

Hey guys I am a proud new drz400sm owner and need to know correct carb jetting for fcr41. I am installing 434 big bore kit stage 2 hotcams procom cdi. Some info would be much appreciated 

not everyone thinks its a 'dirtbike', i didnt buy a dirtbike when i bought the drz .... but i would search around for awhile to try to find a used one, compare the 'right color' price to the wrong and consider painting .. it could be painted right for under 200 ... if it doesnt have a hole yours could be fixed and painted to ..

Edited by cowpie
  • Like 1

I get that you want to keep the oem look on your bike, but if it makes you feel good a natural plastic tank will give you instant desert racer cred, at least down here in Baja.

8 hours ago, cowpie said:

not everyone thinks its a 'dirtbike', i didnt buy a dirtbike when i bought the drz .... but i would search around for awhile to try to find a used one, compare the 'right color' price to the wrong and consider painting .. it could be painted right for under 200 ... if it doesnt have a hole yours could be fixed and painted to ..

Fine, we'll call it a 'dual sport'. It's still stupid to put a steel tank on a dual sport.

Hey guys I am a proud new drz400sm owner and need to know correct carb jetting for fcr41. I am installing 434 big bore kit stage 2 hotcams procom cdi. Some info would be much appreciated 

The procom cdi regardless of who sells it( Biggun, White Bros, Now Yosh) is garbage. Do a search and you will find out why. If you want an aftermarket CDI the Dyna FS is the only one on the market worth buying.

You are also wasting money buying Hotcams is you intend to run them on a 434 with a 41mm carb. Call Web camshafts and order 536/540 if you want strong, even power from top to bottom. If you want a little more top for a little less bottom, order 540/540. If you want maximum top end power order 539/540. The 1st number signifies the intake cam grind and the 2nd is exhaust.

Sent from my XT1650 using ThumperTalk mobile app

The procom cdi regardless of who sells it( Biggun, White Bros, Now Yosh) is garbage. Do a search and you will find out why. If you want an aftermarket CDI the Dyna FS is the only one on the market worth buying.

You are also wasting money buying Hotcams is you intend to run them on a 434 with a 41mm carb. Call Web camshafts and order 536/540 if you want strong, even power from top to bottom. If you want a little more top for a little less bottom, order 540/540. If you want maximum top end power order 539/540. The 1st number signifies the intake cam grind and the 2nd is exhaust.

3 hours ago, ptgarcia said:

Fine, we'll call it a 'dual sport'. It's still stupid to put a steel tank on a dual sport.

well, everybody has their own perspective .. i look at mine as long term transportation that i can throw the dirt rims on and go trail riding when im in the mood .. then i clean it up and its all sexy again when i ride to work lol

CIMG1031_zpsodzvvrb7.jpg

• Like 2

The heat an dry ice methed might get 95% of the dent out, I just may have to give it a try.. And as far as it looking like it punched a hole in in, it isnt actually a hole and it does't seem to be a weak spot either, but it has a very sharp indent in the deepest part that will never be the same again :mellow:

I know it might be "better" to go with a plastic tank, but for some reason I just like stock tank on the bike... a wanted add in my local CL also isnt a bad idea, I'm only abt 45 minuites from pittsburgh so I might get lucky there. 

On 8/17/2017 at 10:04 PM, Doc_d said:

I looked closer at the picture and I'm not sure now.  I'm sure the poster will let us know.

Not quite a hole, but it was pretty close..

• Like 1